No announcement yet.

Very disappointed in performance of F115

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well............. it turns out my new gps was set to knots instead of mph. Soooo........ it's running better than I thought. I think my motor needs to be raised but it's only got one more hole before it's all the way up. I was running about 5700rpm by myself again today and 37-38 mph and it's slow to get on plane. I decided to load it up how I am going to use it so I got my family onboard. Me 180lbs wife 130lbs and a 9 and 5yo combined weight 130lbs. It hardly had enough umph to get on plane. Once on plane I was down to about 34-35mph and 5500rpm and that's without gear ice and beer. Once loaded I really doubt if it will get on plane without putting the trim tabs down and it still may not. I am attaching a pic of how the motor is running n the water. Even if I move it up it's not going to be enough. I only have one more hole for adjustment. I am pretty sure it needs to go up about 3 inches. How will I get that much adjustment? Jack plate?

Thanks in advance.
    And I apologize for the confusion, I felt certain it was set to mph.

Comment

Originally posted by Av8erdunn View Post
      Well............. it turns out my new gps was set to knots instead of mph. Soooo........ it's running better than I thought. I think my motor needs to be raised but it's only got one more hole before it's all the way up. I was running about 5700rpm by myself again today and 37-38 mph and it's slow to get on plane. I decided to load it up how I am going to use it so I got my family onboard. Me 180lbs wife 130lbs and a 9 and 5yo combined weight 130lbs. It hardly had enough umph to get on plane. Once on plane I was down to about 34-35mph and 5500rpm and that's without gear ice and beer. Once loaded I really doubt if it will get on plane without putting the trim tabs down and it still may not. I am attaching a pic of how the motor is running n the water. Even if I move it up it's not going to be enough. I only have one more hole for adjustment. I am pretty sure it needs to go up about 3 inches. How will I get that much adjustment? Jack plate?

Thanks in advance.

Forgot the pics
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Av8erdunn; 05-08-2017, 09:54 PM.

Comment

and a few more
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Av8erdunn; 05-08-2017, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Thanks in advance.
          Then you really don't have a problem. I had an 1800-pound boat and hit 44 MPH with a 150 HP. Slow to plane is an issue with four-strokes, unless you're overpowered, and you're slightly underpowered.

Put them family members up front when you're coming out of the hole, and that'll help.

Another consideration is moving down to a 15-pitch prop. That'll help with coming out of the hole, and you may not lose any MPH as the RPM get up around 6000. Also consider a four-blade.

I'm sure you know that top-end speed and hole shot are a trade-off. You aren't going to have both with your setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Zara Spook View Post
            Then you really don't have a problem. I had an 1800-pound boat and hit 44 MPH with a 150 HP. Slow to plane is an issue with four-strokes, unless you're overpowered, and you're slightly underpowered.

Put them family members up front when you're coming out of the hole, and that'll help.

Another consideration is moving down to a 15-pitch prop. That'll help with coming out of the hole, and you may not lose any MPH as the RPM get up around 6000. Also consider a four-blade.

I'm sure you know that top-end speed and hole shot are a trade-off. You aren't going to have both with your setup.

I understand you can't have both speed and pulling power but it should plane off a lot better than it does. I know the motor needs to come up so I will start there I guess. I want to pull the kids on a tube and right now there is no way it would. Once I get it aided then I will see if I need to re prop or not. I just need to know what to buy in order to get it up higher.

Comment

Motor looks to be running a little deep. You can clearly see the cavitation plate on my motor while on plane. You could almost step out there, stand on it and not get too wet. Let's see what the others say....

Comment

Thanks in advance.
                2,000lb hull dry weight
                400lb engine dry weight
                490lbs 70 gallon tank
                180lbs you
                260lbs wife & kids
                200lbs misc (cooler, gear, oil, etc)
                = 3,530lbs

Considering the above, probably a good idea to reconsider your engines performance expectations. Because it's not your engine, it's your boat....paired with your engine.

Four strokes are not great out of the hole. They lack the bottom end torque, compared to 2 strokes. If you're having that much of an issue getting on plane, try shifting weight forward. As noted earlier, check your AV plate's height. You could probably go up a notch, you've got rpms to spare before topping 6k. Also, you could try a hydrofoil. They help will getting on plane and staying on plane at low speeds.
                Jason
                1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

you will be better off having 2 different props.
                  one for pulling play toys and another for normal running/fishing load.
                  larger motor would help, but need to find the correct props for the way you will be running

they make those smart tabs for a reason and look at the weight distribution

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                    you will be better off having 2 different props.
                    one for pulling play toys and another for normal running/fishing load.
                    larger motor would help, but need to find the correct props for the way you will be running

they make those smart tabs for a reason and look at the weight distribution
                    I am going to raise the motor this afternoon and I feel certain it will help at least some. Re powering is not an option, I will sell it and buy a different boat prior to doing that. I am going to start playing with props I guess and find a happy medium between the two. Thanks again for your help.

Comment

You mentioned you have tabs, but are not using them? Use them. They are a GREAT tool. They make a world of difference. I understand that some people that are new to tabs may feel apprehensive as it's "one more thing to do", but honestly, once you get used to them... you'd never want a boat without them.

This is sort of like cheating, but Bennett (if you have that brand... most likely) makes an auto-tab setup that may be able to be added. It will control the tabs automatically based on your pre-set boat attitude.

Regardless of the AV plate, use the tabs.
                      2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                      1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
                        You mentioned you have tabs, but are not using them? Use them. They are a GREAT tool. They make a world of difference. I understand that some people that are new to tabs may feel apprehensive as it's "one more thing to do", but honestly, once you get used to them... you'd never want a boat without them.

This is sort of like cheating, but Bennett (if you have that brand... most likely) makes an auto-tab setup that may be able to be added. It will control the tabs automatically based on your pre-set boat attitude.

Regardless of the AV plate, use the tabs.
                        I do use my Lennox tabs as I come from a 31' Chaparral that had them and I loved them. That being said, it doesnt help that much when trying to get on plane.

Comment

My guess is that the RPM is not getting up during this WOT take off.
                          means the motor does not have enough HP to turn the prop under that heavy work to get it up on plane.

too much prop or motor not doing what it should.

test wheel will tell if motor is good

PB showed the aluminum prop they had getting that boat to 20MPH in 4 1/2 seconds
                          as I said before SS props usually have more cup so you drop in pitch when going to SS

Hope that is your problem

Have you heard of the prop gods, do a search for business that deal with props.
                          they can probably help you find the correct prop for your set up
                          Last edited by 99yam40; 05-09-2017, 10:28 AM.

Comment

I do use my Lennox tabs as I come from a 31' Chaparral that had them and I loved them. That being said, it doesnt help that much when trying to get on plane.
                            That's odd that they are not helping. They should absolutely make a difference in your hole shot. I have owned many boats, and ran many, many more. I have NEVER found tabs to be anything but helpful. Maybe there is something wrong with the tabs. Do you mean "Lenco" tabs? Those are electric and work a little faster than the hydraulic Bennett. But make sure they are working properly.
                            2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                            1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Don't get me wrong, they help but it doesn't make a huge difference. Yes they are working correctly as well.

I talked to Ken at Propgods yesterday and he was a big help. He recommended me to a local shop that has done work for him in the past called Tillman propeller. Spoke with them this morning and he said to raise my motor and let him know what the rpm is and we can repitch my current prop to where it needs to be. He said this motor is fine for the boat and no repower is needed unless I need to cruise faster than 30 or so.
                              Last edited by Av8erdunn; 05-09-2017, 01:47 PM.

Comment

If your going to Tillmans then you must be in AL ( Lower Alabama) .

Comment

Working...
                                X