I decided to look at my engine anodes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I decided to look at my engine anodes

did a forum search and found useful information so thanks. I saw a post that points to the maintenance schedule which is 1 year or 100 hours check. Now to my question, how long do the engine anodes usually last in salt water? Or is dependent? I have F115TXRB

I probed one of my 2001 LX225 and I closed it back up! The tab on the anode head crumbled when I touched it with the pliers. I guess it missed 16 replacements.

Comment

Originally posted by gtreanto View Post
      did a forum search and found useful information so thanks. I saw a post that points to the maintenance schedule which is 1 year or 100 hours check. Now to my question, how long do the engine anodes usually last in salt water? Or is dependent? I have F115TXRB
      I have a F150 that went into service early 2007. I recently pulled the 3 main anodes in the block (for the first time-low hours, approx 200, salt water use-flushed religiously).

The large main one, across the lower transom bracket, I brush clean maybe once a year and still in EXCELLENT shape. Trim tab looks new as well.

Once wire brushed, probably 1/3 gone... The anodes spin onto the "mount". Very easy to swap out if accessible..

The lowest was the worst, the top most, could have cleaned up and re-used. I replaced all of them, cheap insurance:

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-04-2017, 09:28 PM.
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

My engines went into service in 2003 and have little over 700 hours. I don't have the maintenance records so not sure if the ones I took out were the originals. I'm guessing its possible. The one below the oil filter came out pretty easy. The two in the block were PITAs. Had to heat them up and wiggle like crazy. Ordered new anodes and seals.

Comment

How'd they look, before and after a wire brushing (if done).

Or was most of them gone?
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

the two side anodes looked almost new. The anodes in the heads were probably 30% worn. One was worn more than the other, can't remember which one. Since I am going to change them I don't care. I could probably move them around and get more life out of them.

The seals were pretty bad and by the time I got the caps separated from the casing they were gone. This is what makes me think the anodes were never changed. Can't imagine someone would have changed the anodes and not replace the seals.

Comment

Those grommets/seals get very distorted over time. The heat and the anode changing shape as it erodes affects it. Fortunately, they are cheap. Anodes can be a little pricey. Some erode more than others. Best to check them every year or so. IMO.

Comment

Until I get a better feel on how the wear I'll check them annually.

Comment

Working...
                X