No announcement yet.

Trailer Hub Woes- Private Msg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jason, how long have you had the trailer and how is your tire tread wearing? It could just be the way I'm looking at the pictures of your spindles, but they appear to be cawked a bit. Meaning, it doesn't appear that they are perfectly perpendicular to the frame (granted, I can't see see everything). It also appears as though the threaded portion of the spindle is slightly bent? If the spindle was welded on badly, and it's not perfectly perpendicular to the frame, that could easily explain why you had bearing failure... and will again. Hopefully I'm wrong and it's just the way I'm seeing it in the picture, though!
    Last edited by DennisG01; 04-29-2017, 08:37 AM. Reason: I had to spell cawked that way to avoid the spelling police
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
      Also, it's a good idea to wait at the ramp for a couple for the bearings to cool down before splashing into cold water.

That tends to suck water into the bearings/hubs...
      I do that, too. A trailer with brakes can transfer even more heat. I've also gotten in the habit of walking around the trailer and feeling all of the hubs with my hand (and tire tread) every time I make a stop somewhere. I'm looking for temps to be warm, but not hot, and relatively consistent.
      2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
      1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

If it's a short distance (I don't know your distance), just make sure their NOT hot..

As a side note to Dennis' post, I had a dual axle boat trailer (prior to my current HD single axle trailer now).

Anyway, years ago, we loaded several motorcycles and headed to the Smokies on vacation (about 840 miles each way). By the time we got there, literally half my tires were worn away, rubber stuck to the fenders.

Once home, it was determined several spindles were welded crooked! Tires running with major toe in, etc..

BTW, I bought the trailer brand new. Ended up cutting out the spindles, re-align, then re-weld...
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

yep, looking for something different than normal

Comment

replace the spindle. they are not that expensive..

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
              If it's a short distance (I don't know your distance), just make sure their NOT hot..

As a side note to Dennis' post, I had a dual axle boat trailer (prior to my current HD single axle trailer now).

Anyway, years ago, we loaded several motorcycles and headed to the Smokies on vacation (about 840 miles each way). By the time we got there, literally half my tires were worn away, rubber stuck to the fenders.

Once home, it was determined several spindles were welded crooked! Tires running with major toe in, etc..

BTW, I bought the trailer brand new. Ended up cutting out the spindles, re-align, then re-weld...
              Really??? I would have brought that SOB back.

Comment

I would imagine a little talent would be necessary to get them straight to weld.
                Is there some sort of jig to hold them in proper alignment?
                Pretty routine for some but not for me...

Comment

The axles I replaced in the past it made a difference which direction they were mounted to springs, so I would think they are set up in a special jig to get tow in correct

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                    Really??? I would have brought that SOB back.
                    I had the trailer for several years already. The occasional short trip to the boat ramp didn't show any tire wear to speak of. An 840 mile @ highway speeds DID show BAD tire wear/ alignment issues.

I've repaired / replaced several spindles and found most have a fair amount of play between the spindle and ID of the axle, thus the chance for misalignment.

What I do is slip sheet metal spacers (rectangular) in-between the axle and spindle for alignment before welding. Gets everything nice and straight..

Another potential "fix" is to re-drill the spring alignment hole in the axle (to spring) and rotate the axle 90 degrees. Better to have some slight tilting IN vs TOE IN(which is much harder on tires and bearings).

Putting a 3' (or longer) level against your trailer tire will also show most discrepancies as well..

I eventually sold that trailer and currently have a single axle, HD, aluminum trailer (my boat is just within spec's for the trailer).
                    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 04-29-2017, 06:24 AM.
                    Scott

Comment

***!
                      What a great thread (hope that's what you call this series of posts).

I came home from the lake today with a smoking right wheel. Made it home and managed to get the single axle trailer loaded with 3000# of boat and motor into the garage. Jacked up the axle and the tire and wheel just fell off.

Seems that the outer bearing disintegrated with only the retainer and one roller bearing left. So tomorrow we'll disassemble all and see if it can be fixed with bearing and seal replacement.

And once again these posts are a great help. Thanks Guys.

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
                        Jason, how long have you had the trailer and how is your tire tread wearing? It could just be the way I'm looking at the pictures of your spindles, but they appear to be cawked a bit. Meaning, it doesn't appear that they are perfectly perpendicular to the frame (granted, I can't see see everything). It also appears as though the threaded portion of the spindle is slightly bent? If the spindle was welded on badly, and it's not perfectly perpendicular to the frame, that could easily explain why you had bearing failure... and will again. Hopefully I'm wrong and it's just the way I'm seeing it in the picture, though!
                        Sorry for delayed response bud...I think it's just the angle of the picture. You make all good points, but despite the spindle being welded on in the past it looks straight. The bearings failed because of me, the lack of attention I've given the trailer. It's fairly old trailer, galvanized SS. But it will do for now.
                        Jason
                        1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Originally posted by Hokie 59 View Post
                          Jacked up the axle and the tire and wheel just fell off.

Seems that the outer bearing disintegrated with only the retainer and one roller bearing left. So tomorrow we'll disassemble all and see if it can be fixed with bearing and seal replacement.
                          Similar to what happened to my trailer, except the inner bearing was seized to the spindle. Luckily the bearing seal did not pull off or the wheel would have came right off.

Let's us know if you need assistance. Good luck!
                          Jason
                          1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Originally posted by Jason2tpa View Post
                            The bearings failed because of me, the lack of attention I've given the trailer. It's fairly old trailer, galvanized SS. But it will do for now.
                            Plus 1 ^^^..

My bearings were fine after the 1700 mile trip EVEN with all the "tow in" my spindles had (and ate most of my tires.)..

Gotta service them once in awhile!
                            Scott

Comment

I puller into my driveway once , unhooked the trailer and noticed the trailer leaning some.
                              found where spindle was welded to axle had rusted and broke completely loose.
                              only thing holding that side together was the fit of the spindle butt inside the axle itself, it was about 1/2 way out causing the the tire to lean and drop that side of trailer.

Just because they seem to be OK does not mean you should not take apart, clean, and inspect very well from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                                I puller into my driveway once , unhooked the trailer and noticed the trailer leaning some.
                                found where spindle was welded to axle had rusted and broke completely loose.
                                only thing holding that side together was the fit of the spindle butt inside the axle itself, it was about 1/2 way out causing the the tire to lean and drop that side of trailer.

Just because they seem to be OK does not mean you should not take apart, clean, and inspect very well from time to time

You got lucky!!

I plug weld as well, besides going around the outside of the spindle.

The plug weld WILL keep it from walking out...
                                Scott

Comment

Working...
                                X