Long time lurker with a question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ratcheting Strap

I like that idea...I will be digging one of those straps up in the garage soon.

Comment

Originally posted by basenjib123 View Post
      I like that idea...I will be digging one of those straps up in the garage soon.
      You know what's strange? I did that once, years ago - it just seemed like a good idea at the time. Since, I've never used it again. I've thought about it while struggling with a lower unit, but haven't wanted to take the extra 3 minutes to go and get a strap. Instead, I'll bull-headedly keep struggling with it!
      2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
      1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
        I am sure it will...just need a good heavy ratchet strap..

He has good videos.
        In regards to terminology, he refers to a flashlight (which does not flash) as a torch. Reminds me of the movie Shrek for some reason. My kids are now older.

He has all manner of videos. One on how to tie various knots. How to dock a boat etc. That should be mandatory around here.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
          A video is worth a thousand words...You Bigger HP Yamaha engine guys tell me what size motor this is and if this video is applicable to this thread. I think it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srGVSl4_n8Q

Difficult to understand what he was saying...what language is that? Oh ya, aussie.

Those ratchet straps are a great idea. My lower back also thinks it's a good idea. Having gear in reverse prior to dropping LU is new to me. His reasoning makes perfect sense though. Being that you should not move shifter into forward or reverse gear unless drive shaft is spinning, how do you think he's doing this? Start engine, reverse, shut off engine in reverse gear? Have a 2nd person turn fly wheel while shifting to reverse?
          Jason
          1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
            In regards to terminology, he refers to a flashlight (which does not flash) as a torch. Reminds me of the movie Shrek for some reason. My kids are now older.

He has all manner of videos. One on how to tie various knots. How to dock a boat etc. That should be mandatory around here.
            He got a good one on marine charts and plotting on charts as well, very interesting. Knowing how to use a compass should mandatory as well for guys venturing offshore very far...Get lost you may need your flash light to flash SOS.!

Comment

Originally posted by Jason2tpa View Post
              Difficult to understand what he was saying...what language is that? Oh ya, aussie.

Those ratchet straps are a great idea. My lower back also thinks it's a good idea. Having gear in reverse prior to dropping LU is new to me. His reasoning makes perfect sense though. Being that you should not move shifter into forward or reverse gear unless drive shaft is spinning, how do you think he's doing this? Start engine, reverse, shut off engine in reverse gear? Have a 2nd person turn fly wheel while shifting to reverse?
              I can see why you couldn't start and put in reverse, then shut it off, one man operation.

Turn prop by hand and have somebody pop her in reverse with shifter...only need to turn it slightly so the dog clutch teeth can mesh. Kill switch lanyard pulled of course..

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
                But couldn't you put the shifter spline into gear via the shift/control lever at the helm? Or am I missing something?
                The F150 shifter shaft does NOT go up and down, it rotates. (Splined)

So shifting the LU is now changing the proper alignment (shifter shaft) between the LU and the upper end of the shifter rod..

I like the idea of the strap alot, but as noted, with the extension you can't see up there. Also, there's NO speedometer hose to connect on the newer F150's. Just a short plastic extension with o-ring.

Personally, I would NOT mess with sticking it in gear, possibly screwing up the shifter alignment. Doesn't take 30 seconds to rotate the drive shaft a hair.. And nothing (shifter) is in question.

I'd also clean some of that crap off the water tube and just a touch of grease around the OD of that.

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 04-25-2017, 07:02 AM.
                Scott
                1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

about the only case I need assistance with is the 30" F350.
                  someone has to manipulate the shift shaft, blindly.
                  the really nasty ones are the 25 and 30" motors with studs for the extension.

if ya really really wanna get frustrated do a 200 hr service on a 36 grady with triple F350.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason2tpa View Post
                    Being that you should not move shifter into forward or reverse gear unless drive shaft is spinning, how do you think he's doing this? Start engine, reverse, shut off engine in reverse gear? Have a 2nd person turn fly wheel while shifting to reverse?
                    you can turn the prop shaft also to align the dogs, so drive shaft does not have to be turning.
                    just do not force the shift if the dogs are not lined up

Comment

Working...
                    X