Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trim motor brush holder replacement (1989 200)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trim motor brush holder replacement (1989 200)

Been having to tap on motor to get it going so I'm going to pull cap off it and replace entire brush holder assembly rather than deal with replacing trim motor.
    Don't want to lift motor off boat to get to that back trim motor bolt. Also no leaking fluid by pulling trim motor. Also last trim motor I replaced one of the 3 bolts snapped. No fun....

Anyone pull the cap and replace brush holder? I'll clean commutator on the armature while cap is off.
    Last edited by BQUICK; 04-23-2017, 07:35 PM.

The cap is actually the commutator frame. Part of the motor.

In a number of Yams it is easier to simply remove the entire power trim and tilt unit and take it to the work bench. Two wires, two bolts and one pin and it should just lift out.

Then remove the motor from the unit and then the cap from the motor.

Easier and cheaper still may be to find a good auto electric ship who can simply replace the brushes, clean the armature and maybe undercut the commutator if needed.

Comment

Cap is separate on mine. Cap, center cover with magnets and the base.

Comment

I was guessing based on not knowing what 1989 200 motor you have.

Comment

Isn't this the Yamaha forum?

Comment

complete model # is what is usually asked for.
            only 6 are listed for a 89 200 yamaha
            and a lot of people post here not knowing they are in the wrong place for what they have
            Last edited by 99yam40; 04-23-2017, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Understood but all 89 200 trim motors are the same. That's why I didn't cite model code.

Comment

maybe we should not post any answers until a model # is produced to solve this problem

How are we to know those parts are the same?
                apparently you have already looked them all up but failed to let everyone know that

Comment

I'd replace those o-ring seals as well while there...
                  Scott
                  1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

if you are worried about breaking some 6mm screws I would be real nervous about the cover screws.

Comment

Already got the 6mm screws loose. Problem is they are so long they hit the bracket so out comes the grinder. Looks like it wasn't meant to be done with motor in place.
                      I'll do some grinding and report back.

I was just wondering if anyone else had attempted this since a lot of motors are having trim motor issues and I bet in most cases cleaning or replacing brushes would get em going again.
                      Last edited by BQUICK; 04-24-2017, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                        The cap is actually the commutator frame. Part of the motor.

In a number of Yams it is easier to simply remove the entire power trim and tilt unit and take it to the work bench. Two wires, two bolts and one pin and it should just lift out.

Then remove the motor from the unit and then the cap from the motor.

Easier and cheaper still may be to find a good auto electric ship who can simply replace the brushes, clean the armature and maybe undercut the commutator if needed.
                        Why not do the above and skip the grinder?

Comment

grinder may make those bolts unusable to be put back

Comment

I just did this, motor was filled with corrosion from a water leak. Cleaned it up, resealed it, works fine now

Sounds like your going about the wrong way. Those brushes are not easy to hold back while you put that armature in. Pretty easy to just remove the whole t/t unit.

Comment

Not grinding the bolts! Grinding bracket for clearance.

Brushes easy to hold back to get on armature....practiced on one on the bench.

To replace trim motor I'd have to haul boat and deal with seized Florida bolts. This is a less risky approach IMO.

(brush holder assembly is #7 on above diagram, comes complete with brushes and lead)
                              Last edited by BQUICK; 04-24-2017, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X