F150 dtc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F150 dtc

Hello All. New here and new to Yamaha. I just finished installing a new 2016 F150JB jet drive with 6Y8 gauge into my boat. It runs good, but has a check engine light on. I don't have a code reader to check the code. Is there some kind of programing or set up that I need to do. Is there anything to be done with the old shifter, now that it is jet drive. Or do I need to take it in and get the code checked. Also is there a reasonable priced code checker compatible with this engine available somewhere. Thanks in advance

This site sells the program, etc to download into your lap top and read codes, RPM's, all kinds of info.

Make sure you get the unit for your YEAR engine as I believe they changed in 2012. IE, my YDS won't work on your engine. It's NOT terribly expensive and will pay for itself in one or two uses...

BRP diagnostics contact page

Actually, http://www.brpdiagnostics.com/yamaha-yds2-diagnostic/ for the newer engines shows it's not available yet. You may want to send an e-mail and see. That message has been posted for quite awhile...

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 04-17-2017, 08:32 PM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

did you know the 6y8 package will show code numbers?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
          did you know the 6y8 package will show code numbers?
          I did not. Thank you. And thanks for the info fair deal. I will repost after I have run it again and have a code number

Comment

code is 28. Is it the same as the older Yamaha's-wrong shift position switch.

Comment

Here's what I came up with.
              I see where the switch used to be located on the shift linkage. It has been removed because of the jet drive. the connector is a 2 wire blue connector with a black wire and a blue/ green wire in it. It has a plug in the connector with no terminals. Should those wires be connected in the connector?

Comment

Problem solved. put a jumper across the connector and the code is gone. I will permantly connect the 2 wires together

Comment

One problem solved. Another problem implemented.

With a jumper across the connector terminals the ECU now thinks the motor is in neutral. All of the time. When you go to accelerate, the ECU is going to limit the RPM's. The motor will not develop full power.

Comment

sounds like someone tried making an outboard a jet.
                    the outboard ECU is different than the jet ECU.
                    there is a kit avalible to add a cable from the jet to the shift slide.

Comment

Op's model is an F150JB. Comes from Yamaha with a jet drive.

The F150JB, F150LB and F150XB all use the same part number ECU. 63P-8591A-38-00

The F150JB does not come with the neutral switch assembly.

With the F150JB, it is normal for the motor to set code 28. There is no sensor switch to tell the ECU that the motor is in gear. The code is only seen when the 6Y8 or 6YC gauge is used. No harm no foul, just ignore the nuisance notice.

Another idiosyncrasy of the jet drive model is that the Variable ***** Speed (VTS) functionality is inoperable. It won't see that the motor is in gear. Can't imagine anyone wanting to ***** with a jet drive but folks do what folks do.
                      Last edited by boscoe99; 04-20-2017, 09:12 AM.

Comment

It is a factory jet

Comment

Originally posted by larryreeves View Post
                          It is a factory jet
                          I know. I was typing as you were posting your message.

Comment

By the way, in rodbolts message he mentions a kit.

This is an optional kit from the jet pump maker that can be added (together with the optional Yamaha neutral switch) to the motor so that code 28 will not appear on the 6Y8 gauge and also so that VTS will function.

See your dealer if you feel you need to have this kit installed. It will all be at your expense unfortunately.

Comment

Thanks for everyone's input in this issue

Comment

Working...
                              X