2001 sx225txrz noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 sx225txrz noise

Posted about this before. Clackity clack. Checked most of the usual suspects. Not wrist pins, not O2 joint. Sounds more clickity click or chirpity chirp.

Most noticeable at 1,000 to 1400 rpms in gear. Out of gear at that rpm , you can just slightly hear it , motor runs perfect. Pretty good shine on driveshaft just above water pump. Would like to eliminate lower unit from the equation. How do I get water to power head with lower off?

Use the garden hose fitting if so equipped or slip a piece of vinyl hose around the water pick up tube and feed water to the motor that way.

Comment

gotcha, have that garden hose fitting, thanks for that

Comment

Just run it @WOT till something lets loose. It's easy to find then...

CS, that trim tab is part of the steering of you vessel. You may not feel the difference with 3 engines and hydraulic steering, but one notch off, makes a VERY big difference in steering pull, especially with a single engine..
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Is it possible my noise is coming from the driveshaft bushing.

What tool is needed to remove it ?

Comment

Wait for CS, YOUR QUOTE:

"I'll have to say 1 thing, seems like Solo is the only 1 on here giving actual boat running info, and beating the snot out of it as well... Appears the rest of the regulars are key board commandos, got plenty to say, but don't have the running experience Solo has. Solo....my kind of actor.... beat it...break it... fix it. and report back.. with what happened.."

Lets see, NOW we need some help from the "key board commando's"

Amazing how that works out. Insult folks, then ask the SAME folks for help... WTF??

Originally posted by scofflaw View Post
            Is it possible my noise is coming from the driveshaft bushing.

What tool is needed to remove it ?

From a "KEYBOARD COMMANDO":

"Chirping" sounds, like birds in the back round while at a fast idle in gear, around 1700 RPM's is what I got when using the WRONG mid bearing grease.

That bearing is simply held in with a circlip.

It's very likely fine BUT you need to put Yamaha's WATER PROOF GREASE (not WALMART trailer bearing grease, etc) on that nice shiny spot(which IS squeaking)

Light knocking at idle, as posted previously is likely the WP impeller retainer NOT installed down fully.

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 04-16-2017, 08:40 AM.
            Scott

Comment

Interesting about the type of grease. I did put regular grease on it. That area on my driveshaft is way more shiny than my old unit.

So you think that bushing will pop right out without some kind of special tool ?

The other noise you speak of is also called prop chatter ? I have that too, but not the noise I'm referring to. Probably more annoying than critical.

Key board commando was not meant as an insult, just seems to be the way it is here. I beat the snot out of my boat. every day....can you say the same...No disrespect intended
              Last edited by scofflaw; 04-16-2017, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Interesting about the type of grease. I did put regular grease on it. I learned from doing EXACTLY THAT. Then got to do a "do over". That area on my driveshaft is way more shiny than my old unit. It should be greased yearly with the WP and at least the drive shaft splines. Mine went for 3 + years-no squeak with the correct grease.

So you think that bushing will pop right out without some kind of special tool ? Just remove the circlip. It's possible that bushing, wallowed out the mid section and will fall out

The other noise you speak of is also called prop chatter ? I have that too, but not the noise I'm referring to. Probably more annoying than critical. It's not critical. The fix is to simply remove the WP housing, pull up on the driveshaft CONSTANTLY, then tap the retainer down while rotating. I used an open end wrench while tapping down/rotating.

Key board commando was not meant as an insult, just seems to be the way it is here. I beat the snot out of my boat. every day....can you say the same. NO, I can't say the same and would be embarrassed to do so. I don't beat the engine to death. Your "new engine" proves how well that works out... . No disrespect intended
                Well, it was taken that way. Most of us are here to help. NO, I don't beat the piss out of my boat, bike, anything.. CS can, not do maintenance, it's your boat and your business.

But to "hammer" folks that are here to help and operate their machines different from you, well, that's f...ed up..

In any event, that squeaking is from the WRONG grease. The Yamaha shop didn't have it on 47th last time I looked. It's purplish in color, not terribly expensive for a tub.

ACC-MLTPR-GR-00 MULTIPURPOS GREAS T
                Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 04-16-2017, 09:07 AM.
                Scott

Comment

Seems the noise has changed some from what you said before
                  And clack clack clack is metal to metal

Comment

There's only so many things on a 2 stroke that can make noise. Rotating assembly is tight and that egr tube isn't it either.

Sounds like a real loud injector type of clicking. Hard to describe, . Radiates through the whole motor, say can't really tell. probably will pull the lower unit.

Comment

I used reg old grease on that bushing. Sound went away, temporarily.
                      The special grease from Yamaha supposed to last longer.

Thinking clickety clack is different than chirpy chirp.

All BS aside, a video of this noise might help. Esp for those that have more experience with these x motors. Which would not include me....

Comment

Prop chatter, completely different sound, goes away completely at about 800 rpm in gear. You can confirm this by removing the prop and running engine. Real loud too, and considered normal. Last engine I had did have chatter as well, something to do with heavy stainless prop

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                          I used reg old grease on that bushing. Sound went away, temporarily.
                          The special grease from Yamaha supposed to last longer. .
                          When I used the regular grease, it lasted maybe a month, then the squeak came back. Prior to this last WP change, the LU had the same YAMAHA grease for about 3 years-NO Squeak.

It got all cleaned out by myself(above the bushing as well) and re-greased.

As for CS' bushing, it likely wore out from lack of grease or seized and/or just broke apart. There have been posts about removing it altogether however, the consensus was Yamaha put it there for a reason. To help support the shaft from excessive wobbling.

Perhaps, for CS, if that bushing (educated guess) failed sometime ago, that could help in the failure in his many blown LU's.
                          Scott

Comment

Originally posted by CaptSolo
                            Well. I hope the noise from my SB F225 is "prop chatter" from the SS prop then.

I blew/spun the prop busing two trips back on this SB engine, but the noise is still 'down" there after 100 miles of running.

A good shop pressed the new bushing.
                            does the lower unit make the noise without the prop on?

Comment

Working...
                            X