Which Fuse Type for FT50CET Outboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Fuse Type for FT50CET Outboard

I believe the FT50CET 4-stroke uses a single 20A glass fuse. But is it quick-blow or slow-blow. Or is this a silly question?
    Thanks

Not a silly question at all. In the scheme of things, I doubt that it really matters.

I would guess it to be a standard fuse.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
      Not a silly question at all. In the scheme of things, I doubt that it really matters.

I would guess it to be a standard fuse.
      does that word(standard) make it a fast or slow?

Comment

Thanks - Now which type is "standard" (fast or slow)? If I have a fuse, can I tell by the appearance? I'm guessing the slow type is flat and wide and the quick is like a thread.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
          does that word(standard) make it a fast or slow?
          I think standard makes it a standard blow fuse. Like whatever it is that Yamaha uses with their part number on it.

Now is standard slower or faster than a fast blow or slow blow fuse? Beats the hell out of me.

Standard fuses can blow pretty quickly. Is a fast blow fuse going to offer better protection? Don't know.

I have heard of slow blow fuses which are reported to have a bit of delay in them to avoid nuisance faults.

I won't bring time delay fuses into the equation. I don't really dwell on this type of stuff. I don't pick fly shit out of my pepper if you know what I mean.

Choosing the right fuse speed

Comment

I believe I have seen fast blow with springs holding tension on the element so when the correct temperature is reached to melt something the spring tension helps pull it a apart.
            I think slow blow were duel element.

but that was industrial stuff not the 12 or 32 volt fuses on these systems

Comment

Been looking for fuses online and it looks like the slow-blow types are generally rather more complex, with a coil around some sort of core, or a blob in mid-wire. The fuses in the motors are simple wires or tapes - So I'm guessing they are fast-blow. But it's odd that the type is not specified in the Owner or Service manuals.

Comment

Did you look it up on a parts diagram maybe it will show something.
                or look at the ones in your motor for any marks

Comment

Originally posted by LPLeodan View Post
                  Been looking for fuses online and it looks like the slow-blow types are generally rather more complex, with a coil around some sort of core, or a blob in mid-wire. The fuses in the motors are simple wires or tapes - So I'm guessing they are fast-blow. But it's odd that the type is not specified in the Owner or Service manuals.
                  Yamaha's expectation is that the user will use the Yamaha parts catalog to determine the correct Yamaha part number for a Yamaha branded fuse. And then buy the correct fuse from a Yamaha dealer. Whether you get a slow blow, medium blow or fast blow fuse will be irrelevant since the correct fuse will be installed on the motor.

This is similar to Yamaha not specifying all of the requirements related to a particular bolt. They expect the user to buy the Yamaha part number bolt, in which case it will be the correct bolt for the specific application. They don't provide all of the engineering requirements for the bolt such that someone can then find an equivalent bolt on the innerweb.

Comment

I am guessing that item 20 is the fuse that you need.

2002 T50TLRA Yamaha Outboard ELECTRICAL 2 Diagram and Parts

Comment

Thinking about this some more, what you can do if you are conservative is to buy a pack of auto store fast blow fuses, rated for 20 amps. Thinking being that fast blow fuses offer quicker/greater protection than other fuse types.

If you then experience a frequent failure of the fuse then you will know that you need to install a medium blow fuse. If the medium blow fuse fails frequently then you might need to try a slow blow fuse.

This all presumes that your electrical wiring is in good working condition.
                      Last edited by boscoe99; 04-16-2017, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X