2005 F90 gauges fading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 F90 gauges fading

Is there anything that can be done about these fading gauges.. I can't see anything at start up then they come on a little..
    Key West 1720cc
    Yamaha F90TLRD mfg.05/04

if you are referring to the digital multifunction gauges -

it is apparently possible to obtain materials and "rebuild" the display
    doesn't look "easy"...

here is a link to an informative post:

Repair Faded Yamaha Multifuction Gauge - The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Comment

Very, very slick ^^^^^..
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Before doing anything major, check the power and ground electrical connections.

Low voltage can mean a dim display. I am guessing that once the motor is started the voltage rises due to the generator doing its job. The increase in voltage causes the display to be less dim.

Maybe.

Comment

I researched and did this about three years ago. The LCD requires polarized screen material to work as the liquid crystal polarizes the segments to block the reflective light, thus giving you the darkened digits...

The sun destroys the polarized film over time (sun burn) and that is why they fade out.

I had fair success with my first gauge (which was my worst gauge) I had bought a replacement from Boats.net (best price, btw) and figured I was going to open that sucker up and fix em. It (my primitive repair) worked OK for daytime operation but I needed something better for a reflector to shine the backlight forward towards the viewers eyes...

I became aware that many, many boaters with Yamaha gauges were suffering this malady and that I might be able to get a little cottage industry going that I could perform while I was at home to A) help others save a quite a few dollars and B) help offset the 34 GPH that I can burn at WOT...
          (I'd be curious what CaptSolo is running but he can't seem to hold the camera steady when he is go fast...)

In trying different media types, I had opened and closed the experimental test patient too many times and eventually I started losing segments on my display. Too busy and not enough hours in the day, I packed up and just bought a new gauge from Boats every time I needed a small few engine or motorcycle parts and wanted to get my total over Free Shipping...
          (I'm a pilot and pilots are inherently thrifty)
          BTW, you can now buy Partzilla (motorcycle) and Boats.net parts on the same order to get the free shipping over 149 deal thanks to my repeated suggestions for them to make that happen. (I'd bet a dollar to a doughnut that someone in management claims that as their original idea)

I just recently discovered where I failed and the cure to my lost segments. Around that same time I see that somebody's Uncle is on HullTruth with my business model.

The Moral of my long winded story, Keep your gauges out of the sun.
          If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

Comment

Working...
          X