Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS prop vs same size alum ?

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
    Yes. You are now lugging the motor. Not sure where you are located but come July/August the air will be hotter and more humid. You will lose HP and the WOT RPM will be even less than it is now.

Yamaha's recommendation is to have the motor propped so that at WOT, with the boat loaded, and the motor trimmed up only to the most efficient trim angle, the RPM is at or near 6000.

I would suggest that you try the same brand and model of propeller but with two inches less pitch. If you change brand or model then all bets are off as to what the results may be.
    Boscoe99 - you are the man!

I did what you said to do, and it worked. I now have an Apollo SS prop that gives my Yamaha F115C a quick hole shot and top speed @ 6000 rpm of about 35 mph on my Cobia 194 CC with two folks aboard.

We just checked it out today on Lake Lanier (Atlanta) and it's never run so good.

I got lucky when I bought an Apollo prop #993143 from a pawn shop that had been taken off a Mercury. Since I still had my hub kit #203, I was pretty sure I could slip out the incomplete Mercury hub (13 splines) and replace it with my #203 hub (15 splines). I did and it fit the Yamaha perfectly. And the prop was in good condition.

So again, you and others on this Forum have helped someone (me) immensely. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Comment

Boscoe99, you 'da man!

I was seeking to increase hole shot and top speed for my Yamaha F115C on my Cobia 194 CC with 2 folks aboard. I tried an Apollo #993144 prop, same size as the original alum prop at 13.25 x 17, but SS.

You recommended that I drop down 2" in pitch with the same brand prop. I followed your advice and it worked. Got a used Apollo 13 3/8 x 15 prop, SS and we just finished testing it on Lake Lanier (Atlanta). We got quick hole shot and top speed at 35 mph at 6000 rpm. That's better than the old alum prop.

I guess I was lucky, since I bought a used Apollo #993143 from a pawn shop. They said it came off of a Mercury, but I knew that I needed that Apollo #, and could easily knock out the 13-spline Mercury hub and insert the Michigan Wheel hub #203, 15-spline hub for my Yamaha. It fit perfectly.

Once again you folks have been a great help to someone new to the sport. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Comment

Finally got the problem solved. Dropping 2" in pitch was the answer.

As Boscoe99 suggested I bought an Apollo #993143 (13 3/8 x 15) used on Ebay and tried it. Worked great - great hole shot and 36mph at WOT of 6000rpm.

Then got lucky and sold the Apollo #993144 (13.25 x 17) on Ebay.

Thanks all for your encouragement and help.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokie 59 View Post
          Finally got the problem solved. Dropping 2" in pitch was the answer.

As Boscoe99 suggested I bought an Apollo #993143 (13 3/8 x 15) used on Ebay and tried it. Worked great - great hole shot and 36mph at WOT of 6000rpm.

Then got lucky and sold the Apollo #993144 (13.25 x 17) on Ebay.

Thanks all for your encouragement and help.
          So dropping 2" got you 600 rpms and an increase of 2mph, awesome. Glad to hear everything worked out. How much did you pay for the used prop and how much did you sell yours for?
          Jason
          1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Bought the used prop for $170, including shipping, and sold my Apollo #993144 for $195, including shipping. Was pleased to see the Apollo gone, and very happy with the 15"pitch.
            Thanks for your interest. - Al

Comment

Originally posted by Hokie 59 View Post
              Bought the used prop for $170, including shipping, and sold my Apollo #993144 for $195, including shipping. Was pleased to see the Apollo gone, and very happy with the 15"pitch.
              Thanks for your interest. - Al
              Man that's awesome you didn't take a loss. Basically just switched props, even trade. Congrats!
              Jason
              1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Working...
              X