F115 TLRD Starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F115 TLRD Starter

I'm getting a "click" here at the solenoid and after several attempts and holding the key at the start position for a second or two, the starter will engage then start the motor.

Battery cables connectors have new lugs, all posts at the battery and starter positive and negative are clean so I'm thinking its the solenoid.

Is it difficult to replace the solenoid?

Last edited by Reel Kahuna; 03-07-2017, 11:32 AM.

Looks like another voltage drop test is in order before buying parts....

Comment

should not be hard to replace a relay.
      but as said I would measure voltage under load at different points to see where the voltage drops off due to a bad connection

Comment

Originally posted by Reel Kahuna View Post
        Is it difficult to replace the solenoid?
        for me, the part that requires pulling out my wallet would be extremely difficult...

"upstream" - electrically speaking - of that solenoid, you have this relay:

try jumping it and see how the starter solenoid responds

Comment

Okay, where's this relay located?

Comment

follow the wires, they will lead you

Comment

Gotcha Thx.

I did a recon today at a local foothill lake and thought the motor wasn't going to crank over but after several tries, it finally did.
              Then I decided to drag a Trout lure and caught a limit.

Will trace wires tomorrow. Taking the two great grandsons fishing this Saturday so need to fix it now .

Again Thx

Comment

Before you do a thing, I suggest that you double check the batt lines to the motor. To wit, hidden deep in my bilge is a terminal block which connects the LONG Pos and Neg leads within the engine harness to the Pos and Neg battery cables. The Bat cables run about 10 feet and then meet in the bilge about 5 feet from the engines. The engine cables enter the transom, snake around a bit and then meet the batter cables at the terminal block. I was repairing a crapped out wash down pump when I stumbled across this hidden atrocity.

On mine, the connections were in horrible shape with significant corrosion which surely caused a significant V drop. Enough of a drop to prevent the engine from cranking. Before I uncovered this mess, I pulled and tested my starter at the local shop, and replaced the expensive solenoid and cleaned its connections. The starter was fine, as was the solenoid.

Simple stuff first. Especially given what Yam gets for parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Reel Kahuna View Post
                  Okay, where's this relay located?
                  My F150 (which the starter relay failed), is located under a plastic cover, (port side). I now carry a jumper in the tool box, (on board) just in case.

As noted, follow the heavy line from the starter backwards till you find a similar relay with two heavy lugs.

Jumping them (if the relay is bad) will crank it over.

Also listen for a "click" when it doesn't operate. That would mean your getting a signal to the relay (from the key), the coil inside IS working, just the contacts are crappy...
                  Scott
                  1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I'll get on it guys just as soon as the sun comes up, thanks.

Comment

I'm thinking the F115 is the same as my F90 - the "fuse box" is on the front starboard.

The plastic cover of mine even has a handy "schematic" stenciled on it:

[
                      Last edited by fairdeal; 03-08-2017, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Comment

You guys ROCK! With all the suggestions and drawing to boot, I was able to get the gremlin fixed. It was the starter relay.

Again, thx so much for all the help.

Comment

Working...
                          X