intermittent failure to fill VST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes many times
    have to run close to 100 one way to hit the floaters and good deep water around here

All I am saying is there is free water in your tanks sloshing around.
    if you had E10 in them the gas would suck it up and drop out and ruin the octane rating of the rest of the gas
    hopefully the sitting caused it and will eventually all be gone.
    around here with e 10 you would need to drain and clean tanks of all free water and make sure no more gets in.
    not many ways to get water in tanks,
    from the pump tanks at station, gaskets around fill spouts,vents, or the level sending flanges
    Last edited by 99yam40; 04-20-2017, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptSolo
      Hard to answer your question. I get 1 oz of water on 100 gallons of gas used - almost all in my front RACOR. The other two pick up little to no water.

All I can do is keep a watch on the front Racor, and drain off the water at bottom of the see through bowl - definitely not more than an oz. The gas is always crystal clear (light yellow) in the RACORS (all three).

What 8 ounces of water looks like - You tube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_fuZ4RvrFY
      Has anyone had any experience with these? They are water absorbent sock filters that you can insert in to the tank through the fuels sending unit hole. They sit at the bottom of the tank and absorb the water but not the gasoline.

I bought a pair at West marine along with a couple of sets of sending unit gasket sets, but I have not tried these yet.

https://www.spill911.com/waterwicks.html

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NCB39703

https://www.newpig.com/water-only-so.../5013?show=All

Water in the tank is the root of the phase separation. When you get to a certain percentage of water to fuel, I am told that the alcohol drops from the fuel and clings to the water. The gasoline left behind is low power and low octane causing detonation damage, that is if it will let the engine run at all.

CaptSolo I think they have a NAPA or two on New Providence...
      Last edited by FabricGATOR; 04-21-2017, 10:45 AM.
      If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

Comment

Originally posted by FabricGATOR View Post
        Has anyone had any experience with these? They are water absorbent sock filters that you can insert in to the tank through the fuels sending unit hole. They sit at the bottom of the tank and absorb the water but not the gasoline.
        I NEVER drain any water from my water separator since using non e-fuel and the K100... I have also drained fuel (about 35 gallons), most of it roughly 2 years old(treated with K100 and RF), which came out smelling fresh and looking like it was just pumped...

And this is in a 1997 tank that had NEVER been drained, removed, cleaned, nothing...

I did have a running issue about 2 years ago, I thought was fuel related. Turned out to be a bad spark plug(s)... The fuel removed was run in my mower, the neighbors boat and truck, with NO issues...

Point being, IME, this stuff works (in a 19 year old tank yet)
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
          I NEVER drain any water from my water separator since using non e-fuel and the K100... I have also drained fuel (about 35 gallons), most of it roughly 2 years old(treated with K100 and RF), which came out smelling fresh and looking like it was just pumped...

And this is in a 1997 tank that had NEVER been drained, removed, cleaned, nothing...

I did have a running issue about 2 years ago, I thought was fuel related. Turned out to be a bad spark plug(s)... The fuel removed was run in my mower, the neighbors boat and truck, with NO issues...

Point being, IME, this stuff works (in a 19 year old tank yet)
          Do you get get a kick back from your constant touting of these products ? If not..you should

Comment

Originally posted by CaptSolo
            FabricGATOR

My only concern is that they might break free and clog my tank pickups.

Anyone try these? Please post your findings.
            The ones I bought three years ago from West are just like a large tampon with a yellow poly string.

These ones I posted from NAPA appear to be housed in a polypropylene cage.
            If I remember correctly, this is a remedy treatment and not a preventative program.. Meaning I am thinking I am going to use these to ensure that my tank is clean and dry and then remove them.

I don't think I would install them and just leave them there to get sloshed around for a hundred miles of open water. My plan it to install them and then a gentle cruise with a little wake action on a near empty tank. Just trying to scavenge any accumulated water from over the years prior to my ownership.

I heard tell of the PO trying to fuel in a heavy downpour and somehow, they filled the holding tank with marine gasoline at the yacht club. I think there was alcohol involved, and not in the fuel either...

Comment

I am playing with fire and I know it but I am doing so at my own risk.
              I am a professional daredevil, do not try this at home!

My year 2000 BlueWater 2350 with year 2000 sx150's has a 143 gallon main fuel tank and the PO installed a 45 gallon reserve tank in the forward Tuna locker. In theory, I can go fish in the Bahamas and return to Florida without buying gas in the Bahamas. Ice, now that is another expensive story for another time...

In my thrift, I began filling the mains with Sunoco pump gas (yes, E-10) treated with K-100 and RF+. I leave the dock and run all day on MoGas and when I hit the bridge returning home, I switch to my full 40+ gallons of REC90 E free fuel and I believe in part that I am flushing the E-gas out of my fuel/water filters, lines and engines.

Now in my ultra thrift, I am going to stop carrying the extra 6oo pounds of fuel everywhere I go and just keep my main tank to 1/3 full and my REC 90 tank full. (Unless my planned mission takes me on a run to visit CaptSolo's sovereign waters) So I am devising a management plan to keep my main tank dry and free from condensation, rain drops, and any possibility of a drop or two of seawater finding its way through the tank vents.

In fact in interacting in this forum just this morning I invented something really cool that I will disclose at a later date after prototype testing if all goes well.

Something related but different from this morning's imagination turd...
              Do you guys remember the micron mesh filters from the Coleman fuel lantern funnels... or my dad had a tractor funnel that would lock onto a tractor fuel tank fill port and it had that same micron mesh stainless steel filter that would not let water pass through but the fuel went right past. I think I am going to get something like that too.

I am just full of idea's today!

Comment

Originally posted by scofflaw View Post
                Do you get get a kick back from your constant touting of these products ? If not..you should
                Wish I did!!!

When I find something that works, yes, I'll tell other folks about it.

Want ONE example? RF solved his problem!! :

intermittent failure to fill VST - Page 3 - Yamaha Outboard Parts Forum

BTW, did the YAMAHA waterproof grease fix your mid bushing squeal scofflaw?
                (I peddle that too!)

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 04-21-2017, 06:00 PM.
                Scott

Comment

Originally posted by FabricGATOR View Post
                  In my thrift, I began filling the mains with Sunoco pump gas (yes, E-10) treated with K-100 and RF+. I leave the dock and run all day on MoGas and when I hit the bridge returning home, I switch to my full 40+ gallons of REC90 E free fuel and I believe in part that I am flushing the E-gas out of my fuel/water filters, lines and engines.
                  So what is YOUR experience / opinion with RF and K100? Are you finding any difference with water accumulation, etc?
                  Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post

Want ONE example? RF solved his problem!! :

intermittent failure to fill VST - Page 3 - Yamaha Outboard Parts Forum

BTW, did the YAMAHA waterproof grease fix your mid bushing squeal scofflaw?
                    (I peddle that too!)

Well scofflaw, did you click on the link and read the fix?

Did you re-grease with the correct yamaha grease and did it work??
                    Scott

Comment

I was hoping he would post a video of the clacking noise. Not convinced he had a bushing issue. Who knows?

Comment

Working...
                      X