No announcement yet.

Sheared off water intake female

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well here's the final set of findings... let's see if we can make any sense of it.

Starboard:
    All fine, changed thermostat, impeller and plugs. Oils were great at 20 hours.

Port:
    Thermostat, apparently fine, changed anyway.
    Gear lube, fine, changed anyway.
    Oil, still transparent, not black, at 20 hours.
    Compression on all cylinders, fine.
    Plugs looked fine, replaced anyway.
    Exhaust hose disconnected, reconnected.
    Shore water hose disconnected, fixed.
    Impeller: Missing. Found in many pieces in intake. Replaced.

Both now purr like kittens.

So my question to the forum is.... did the shore water intake hose bracket snap off, causing a loss of cooling system pressure and the impeller burned up? Or did the impeller die and the hose bracket snap coincidentally and within a few seconds of each other? Or....???

Chime in, and thanks for all your pointers!

RC

PS- They swapped out that broken bracket too, took 5 mins, I wasn't around to watch so I can't tell you if it was easy or not for the common boater!
    Last edited by Angler Management; 04-25-2017, 12:02 PM.

Comment

the flush port breaking off didn't harm the impeller -
      the impeller doesn't care what's happening on the output/pressure side

its not being supplied with water - running "dry" - that kills it.

Originally posted by Angler Management View Post
      More info:
      Lower units are brand new with 20 hours on them .
      Well here's the final set of findings...
      Impeller: Missing. Found in many pieces in intake.
      very strange.

Comment

Couldn't the flush port be a source of air getting into the system, causing the impeller to run dry?

Could it have drained when I raised the leg, then not re-pressurize when I tried to start again?

Very strange indeed.

Comment

Couldn't the flush port be a source of air getting into the system, causing the impeller to run dry?

Could it have drained when I raised the leg, then not re-pressurize when I tried to start again?

Very strange indeed.
          No, because the flush port is above the impeller intake. Air rises, so it wouldn't cause any issues with the impeller. Raising/draining would cause no issues with the impeller, either. And obstruction in the impeller intake, yes, but not the things you are thinking of.
          2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
          1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

"Impeller: Missing. Found in many pieces in intake"

where is this intake you speak of that the pieces were found?

pieces should have went up the pipe into the motor

Comment

Missed the part where you asked about the coincidence between impeller and fitting snapping off...

My guess... impeller was already fried (or mostly), yet supplying just enough water. Once the fitting broke, it decreased the water supply enough to cause the overheat.

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
                Missed the part where you asked about the coincidence between impeller and fitting snapping off...

My guess... impeller was already fried (or mostly), yet supplying just enough water. Once the fitting broke, it decreased the water supply enough to cause the overheat.
                I posted that, ^^^^, EXACTLY earlier and deleted it...

Fairdeal pointed out the LU was only 20 hours old.

It does make sense thou, that is if the WP was worn out. If 20 hours old and NOT run dry-nope...
                Scott
                1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                  I posted that, ^^^^, EXACTLY earlier and deleted it...

Fairdeal pointed out the LU was only 20 hours old.

It does make sense thou, that is if the WP was worn out. If 20 hours old and NOT run dry-nope...
                  There's always the possibility that a 20-hour old impeller still fails, although certainly not the norm. Could have been a defect... could have been through a lot of silt or sand in shallow water. Could have been something wrong with the install 20 hours ago. Who knows, though... it's all conjecture at this point.

Comment

Thanks guys. Always learning.

Randy

Comment

I still would like to know what intake the pieces were found in

pieces should have went up the pipe into the motor not down to the intake/screen(maybe) of the water pump

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                        "Impeller: Missing. Found in many pieces in intake"

where is this intake you speak of that the pieces were found?

pieces should have went up the pipe into the motor
                        The pieces were found in the intake... they fell down to the lower screen that intakes the water in.

Most likely burned up while I was running on earmuffs. Mechanic says he tapes the muffs to the leg to create a super tight seal on the bigger engines. Tough lesson to learn!

Launched boat Sunday. Runs fine.

Comment

Working...
                        X