Zerk fitting not mentioned in OM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zerk fitting not mentioned in OM

F150: I removed my air silencer yesterday and of course dropped a few bolts and bushings down into the pan. In the process of recovering them I noticed a zerk fitting way down inside below the shifter mechanism, attached to the shifter shaft I presume. I looked at the Operators Manual again and did not see it listed as one of maintanence items.

Look again. Ideally the owner's manual would be used in conjunction with the parts catalog and the service manual when it comes to maintenance. And maybe there is a bit of difference between owner maintenance as shown in the owner's manual and mechanic maintenance as might be depicted in a service manual.

Last edited by boscoe99; 02-12-2017, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
      of course dropped a few bolts and bushings down into the pan.
      For me, the most difficult and frustrating part of working on my F225.

I don't always let a fastener slip from my fingers, but when I do, its invariably on the starboard side,
      and the part disappears somewhere within the throttle/shift linkage.

Can't just leave it and use another, for fear it will "jam the works" -

not immediately, of course, but later, at the worst possible time...

So I have to find it.

Has nearly brought me to total insanity more than once.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
        Look again. Ideally the owner's manual would be used in conjunction with the parts catalog and the service manual when it comes to maintenance. And maybe there is a bit of difference between owner maintenance as shown in the owner's manual and mechanic maintenance as might be depicted in a service manual.

The operators manual should at least identify whatever zerk fittings that need to be serviced. All of them. That's what the horrible little drawings are supposed to communicate. I don't think a "typical" owner is expected to cross reference parts diagrams and operator manuals to determine preventative regular maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
          For me, the most difficult and frustrating part of working on my F225.

I don't always let a fastener slip from my fingers, but when I do, its invariably on the starboard side,
          and the part disappears somewhere within the throttle/shift linkage.

Can't just leave it and use another, for fear it will "jam the works" -

not immediately, of course, but later, at the worst possible time...

So I have to find it.

Has nearly brought me to total insanity more than once.
          I bought this cheap little kit that includes 2 magnet probes, claw grabber and a little mirror on a stick. The kit gets used often.....

Comment

The operators manual should at least identify whatever zerk fittings that need to be serviced. All of them. That's what the horrible little drawings are supposed to communicate. I don't think a "typical" owner is expected to cross reference parts diagrams and operator manuals to determine preventative regular maintenance.
            It is Yamaha data. What can I say?

The owner's manual contains much useless crap unrelated to the motor and then leaves out important information that is related to the motor.

Comment

A little grease is better late never I reckon. Cleanest zerk fitting I have ever seen!

Edit- Make that 2 additional zerk fittings. #34 and #36 in diagram.
              What else is hiding on this motor?
              Last edited by pstephens46; 02-12-2017, 01:53 PM.

Comment

I believe Yamaha expects owners to take the motors to a Yamaha Dealer for service not do it themselves. May be that is why they do not put all of the good/needed info in owners manuals

Comment

Just an FYI to anybody who owns an F150 and may be interested. #36 grease fitting is not accessible unless shifter arm is unclipped from shift shaft. I hope the factory used good long lasting grease...

Comment

Just an FYI to anybody who owns an F150 and may be interested. #36 grease fitting is not accessible unless shifter arm is unclipped from shift shaft. I hope the factory used good long lasting grease...
                    That is why they make pliers with extra long handles.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                      That is why they make pliers with extra long handles.
                      Would have been much easier yesterday. I'll put it on the list.

Might be accessible shifting either into forward or reverse. Have to check...
                      Last edited by pstephens46; 02-12-2017, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X