Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yammy 60 4/ won't start

Hi guys
    I have a Yamaha ft 60 det ego 4 stroke on a 4.6 m Aluminium runabout with about 1100 hrs on the clock , mainly used in the ocean , on the east coast of Australia

We were out on tha water yesterday , running along at about 30kph , when we hit a bit of a wave and the anchor and the rope bounced out of the anchor well , into the water and started running out behind the boat at speed .

My first reaction was to bring the motor to neutral, then to reverse , oop ! So the motor stalled out , sounded an alarm . We retrieved the anchor and rope , which luckily did not wrap around the prop .

So then the Motor would not crank , , we gave it a minute, and isolated the battery , and eventually the motor would turn over but not fire up.

We eventually got a to back to my mates yacht and spent the next couple of hours . Fault finding to no success. Here's what we tried.
    Inspect all fuses , all good
    Check for spark ,with spark plug.
    Inspect in cylinder with plug out , cylinder reasonably dry
    Inspect and empty out fuel separator , all clean .
    Inspect kill switch .
    Prop spins in Nuteral and engages when in gear .
    No nasty knocks or rattles when turning motor over

We still can't get the motor running ,

Any thoughts ?
    Thanks
    Jugglematt
    Last edited by Jugglematt; 02-11-2017, 04:00 PM.

I guess you need to do the very basics first, determine if it has spark, no use fooling around with the fuel system if it has no spark, if it has good spark, start basic fuel checking, do things methodically don't jump from thing to thing guessing.

Comment

is this a fuel injected motor or carbed?
      but like he said check for spark on all plugs with a spark tester if you have no other way to do it.

maybe by ****ing the controls around you got something out of wack
      monitor fuel pressure if it is an injected motor.

did you have a problem getting the starter to even spin the motor at 1st?
      Last edited by 99yam40; 02-11-2017, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Hi guys , thanks for the quick reply,
        The motor is efi
        We tried removing spark plug . Placing it near motor connected to plug lead and turning motor over, and we got spark ,,,
        After the motor stopped, and the alarm went off, i tried to restart it , it would only crank once or twice and then no more. I then isolated the batt and waited a min , then tried again, it would turn over but not fire up .

Now after charging the batt over nite to make shure it is fully charged up . It still wont start,

Im nearly at the stage to take the motor to local yammy dealer ,

Thanks
        Matty

Comment

You say you emptied the fuel/water separator, did you make sure you primed it all back up with fuel? It can sometimes take quite a while to prime an empty filter, any idea what the alarm was?

Comment

Hi folks
            Well some good news and perhaps some information if it happens to others .

I decided to leave the motor alone for a while and go for a walk .

I came back after a couple of hours , made shure the briber bulb was fully pumped up , connected the flushing water and started turning over the moter

I did this for a while til finally it coughed a bit , then I tried again and a few more coughs till eventually it started , it ran rough as for a while till it eventually seemed to clear its self. I let it idle for a while , then foward and reverse with the motor controls with the engine running , smooth as . Now it starts perfectly just like my Yamaha that I love so much .

So a very good outcome . It was worth while persisting with it
            Thanks for the communication folks .
            Jugglematt

Comment

Working...
            X