Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

O.k.
    Thank you

I was mainly asking because I don't know how heavy the lower unit was.
    Last edited by FL_Marine; 01-05-2017, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Here's a vid that shows you what you might encounter. Might want someone around to help you seeing this is your first lower unit removal. I'd remove the prop first for safety sake. Note that the vid is from a company that sells "specialized tools" that you should not need.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRQo3rYTj-U
      Any problems, direct questions to the forum specifically.

Good Luck!!
      Chuck,
      1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

I use a ratchet strap, one hook on the lower cowl
        wrapped under the cav plate up to the cowling.
        Note to self do not over tighten, use it to hold
        gear case close.

Comment

I have had my hand cut by the sharp edges of SS props before while manhandling the lower unit to put back on, so heed the remove prop from above

Comment

Definitely remove the prop and get a second set of hands, MUCH easier..
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by cpostis View Post
              Here's a vid that shows you what you might encounter. Might want someone around to help you seeing this is your first lower unit removal. I'd remove the prop first for safety sake. Note that the vid is from a company that sells "specialized tools" that you should not need.
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRQo3rYTj-U
              Any problems, direct questions to the forum specifically.

Good Luck!!
              I have watched a couple of his videos and I really like them.

I hope mine goes smoother than that (fingers crossed).

Comment

I know it's been a couple weeks but I was finally able to get that hose barb / nipple piece off the outer exhaust cover.

Comment

How did you get it loose?

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                    How did you get it loose?
                    I put some heat on it and I also made the vice grips so tight I could barely get them to lock onto it. Once I got it to turn just a little bit it got easier and finally came out.

No damage to anything except the nipple piece which was already broken.

I was going to see if I could solder the hose barb back into it but it is damaged too bad which is why I think the previous owner had used silicone to "secure" it in.

Now I just have to wait for the part to come in and replace it. I think it was just friction fit in because I don't see anything on the piece that was in the cover.

Comment

Nice. Amazing how heat works. Especially when you have two different metals.
                      I liked Rodbolt's suggestion of loctite 518. Good seal but not so damn strong that you can't remove if necessary.

Comment

Now when you go to install the new part, it might help to heat the block with a hot air gun while the part sits in the freezer section of your refrigerator. Once the block is nice and hot and the fitting is cold they might go together a bit easier.

Of course make sure the part is clocked correctly when you are installing it.

Comment

Working...
                        X