• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ngk LFR5A-11. You can order them from
    Boats.net and have them in three days.
    O reilly auto parts, they will order them
    for you.

Comment

I paid about $8 apiece last time I changed mine. I believe you can download an owners manual from Yamaha that will give you the info on service intervals and basic part numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by cpostis View Post
        Mr. CIA Guy:
        From what I can tell, the chrome kit only includes the "outer plate, cartridge" and the "insert, cartridge", nothing else. I never ordered a "chrome kit". I do know that in the standard complete kit I order (w/housing) both the plate and insert are made of non-ferrous metal (magnet will not pick them up). I am assuming they are made of stainless steel. Never had anywhere near excessively worn or corroded plate or insert. So why would anyone use the "chrome kit"?

Has any member ever used a chrome kit?
        If anyone is boating in the type of environment where a regular water pump is failing sooner than the boat would like, due to wear and tear, then they may want to consider the use of the chrome kit. Chrome is very hard. Stainless by comparison is soft.

V&M Hard Chrome Plating

Comment

Waist of money.

Comment

Originally posted by walleye1 View Post
            Waist of money.
            For those that don't need it, probably so.

For those that do need it, it is up for them to say. Some might say it is the best money they have ever spent.

My waste line has gotten larger over the holidays. What do I need to do about it?

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
              I paid about $8 apiece last time I changed mine. I believe you can download an owners manual from Yamaha that will give you the info on service intervals and basic part numbers.
              Yeesh, $8 a piece. I;m glad there's only 4

Believe it or not I actually have the original owners manual with the boat. I saw the maintenance intervals in there but I don't remember seeing anything recommended for plugs, just lubes.

Comment

If it was an optimax full retail for the
                SP/ spark plugs 21.00 each.

Comment

How about 12 of these puppies per six cylinder motor for a total of 24 per twin engine airplane.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...prkplugs15.php

Own an airplane for a short while and it will then feel like they are giving outboard motor parts away for free.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                    If anyone is boating in the type of environment where a regular water pump is failing sooner than the boat would like, due to wear and tear, then they may want to consider the use of the chrome kit. Chrome is very hard. Stainless by comparison is soft.

V&M Hard Chrome Plating
                    OK, I guess there is an application where someone would use the chrome kit. From what I've read, boating in waterways where there is an excess of silt is the main reason for the chrome kit. Silt acts like a fine emery cloth on the plate and insert. Maybe the Mississippi River?

I wonder what silt does to a rubber impeller?

[IMG]mississippi-west-bay-diversionjpg-15369eab6c564453 by Charles Postis, on Flickr[/IMG]
                    Chuck,
                    1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

I have read some of the rivers in Alaska are the bad ones they carry lots of silt

Comment

You guy's need to fish the Illinois river if u want silt.

Comment

Originally posted by cpostis View Post
                          OK, I guess there is an application where someone would use the chrome kit. From what I've read, boating in waterways where there is an excess of silt is the main reason for the chrome kit. Silt acts like a fine emery cloth on the plate and insert. Maybe the Mississippi River?

I wonder what silt does to a rubber impeller?
                          I can say the impeller on the F150 is EXTREMELY STOUT.

It will take a set of course, but an old one I pulled out, for S&G's, I tried cutting a vane off...

Holy crap, I don't think one would ever come apart. I worked with a
                          new razor blade trying to cut a vane off. Of course I succeeded, but it was NOT easy.

For the OP, check your PM's...
                          Scott
                          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

it is simply to easy.
                            replace it once per year. do not start it dry,
                            you will never need a water pump.

what is so hard ????

Comment

O.k, my water pump should be delivered today so I can put that in. Is that something I can do myself or should I try to get some help with the lower unit?
                              Now I just need to get my thermostat and put it in. Should I try to flush out the water cavities to remove the rust before installing the new thermostat?

Also I still haven't been able to get that hose nipple out and I don't have the ability to sweat the copper and the piece in the hose looks split.

Does anyone know of a good site to help me repair my *****ing motor?

Thanks for all the help / info everyone.
                              Last edited by FL_Marine; 01-05-2017, 10:58 AM.

Comment

we have no idea what you are capable of doing yourself, but most replace water pump kits themselves.

always a good idea to flush out loose stuff from the passages when you can

maybe you need to have a shop look at dealing with that nipple,
                                or buy the cover if it comes with it installed.

we have no idea what is wrong with your *****ing motor, and I have not heard of a shop that does repair on them if it was not the service center for that brand of motor

Comment

Working...
                                X