Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone identify this part?

Hello,
    I'm new here and this is my first post and I have a part question.

Quick explanation of my problem.
    I noticed I wasn't getting any water out of my tell-tale when running my motor on my motor flushers (super technical term). I traced the hose from the tell tale back past the fuel cooling rail to make sure it wasn't clogged and when I went to pull the hose off the barb the whole barb came off in the hose. On the piece the barb went into there was silicone or some type of adhesive where the previous owner had patched it.

The part in question is circled in red on the parts diagram and I also added a close up picture of the part. It looks like it's badly corroded and is going to be fun to get out.

Any idea what this is called and where I can get a replacement is greatly appreciated.

EDIT - I forgot to mention the motor in question is a 2004 F150 TXRC 4 stroke

Here is a list of things I am going to check / replace

1. Pressure relief valve
    2. Check spark plugs
    3. check anodes

Ordered
    1. water pump kit
    2. thermostat
    Attached Files
    Last edited by FL_Marine; 01-04-2017, 03:35 PM. Reason: Additional information

I believe it's called a nipple.

Comment

I will wait for Boscoe or 99 to repost the pic.
      my machine wont open thumbnails.

Comment

Comment

Looks like I am a little late to the party, I hope this does not mean bad things for me for the whole year.
          but fairdeal took care of it.

Happy New Year everyone.

Being the parts break down does not show it with a part number, I have to wonder if it is available for sale even, so you can try to pull and replace with new
          Last edited by 99yam40; 01-01-2017, 09:46 AM.

Comment

grab the remaining piece with vice grips.
            carefully twist it back and forth while pulling it out.
            carefully clean the hole with carb cleaner alcohol or other cleaner that wont leave a residue.
            you can find the nipple part number on a 1998 or so F9.9 cyl head.

or you can try to carefully clean the male and female parts use a good flux,I prefer rosin core over acid core, and silver solder it back together.
            just like sweating copper pipe.

if you opt to replace the nipple use a sealant like Loctite 518.

Comment

and if you opt to solder it in place first remove the regulator assy and the t-stat housing.

and thank you fairdeal

Comment

I tried twisting the piece with some vice grips and no joy, that sucker won't even budge. It appears to be copper so I don't want to tear it up trying to get it out.
                Should I try some break free or something else on it?

It's my luck with this boat that I probably won't be able to get it out or they won't sell it anywhere.

Also the nipple part that's in the hose looks like it has a split the length of it.

Thanks for the fast replies.

Comment

I am betting some heat would break whatever adhesive the former owner used.

You may need to remove parts mentioned by Rodbolt in previous post to protect them before heating. Have you ever checked the thermostat? How long have you owned this motor?

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                    I am betting some heat would break whatever adhesive the former owner used.

You may need to remove parts mentioned by Rodbolt in previous post to protect them before heating. Have you ever checked the thermostat? How long have you owned this motor?
                    I haven't checked anything on the motor. I bought it used just over a year ago from a former coworker and I have had trouble with it since about the 3rd time I took it out. Oil leak (cost me $300 to fix), steering seals started leaking (another $100), none of the pumps work aside from the bilge and the bait well fill just to name a few problems I've had with the boat in general.
                    I've had to work on it more than I can use it.

I should probably pull the lower unit and put a new water pump in it.
                    Last edited by FL_Marine; 01-16-2017, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Heat on the exhaust cover and maybe some dry ice on the nipple will help to break it free. Worst case, saw it off then drill it out.

Or worst, worst case, buy a new exhaust outer cover. And inspect/change the anodes while the cover is removed.

676-11372-00-00 YAMAHA NIPPLE,HOSE

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/ya...113-03-9S.html
                      Last edited by boscoe99; 01-01-2017, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Yes on water pump. Check the thermostat and Pressure Control Valve also. It is below the thermostat. Part 35 in diagram above.

Curious, what kind of boat? Also, where was the oil leak?

I have the same motor....
                        Last edited by pstephens46; 01-01-2017, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FL_Marine View Post
                          I haven't checked anything on the motor. I bought it used just over a year ago from a former Marine I used to work with and I have had trouble with it since about the 3rd time I took it out. Oil leak (cost me $300 to fix), steering seals started leaking (another $100), none of the pumps work aside from the bilge and the bait well fill just to name a few problems I've had with the boat in general.
                          I've had to work on it more than I can use it.

I should probably pull the lower unit and put a new water pump in it.
                          Yes, pull the lower unit.

You haven't even spent one boat unit yet.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                            Curious, what kind of boat?
                            It's a 2004 Nautic star bay boat. Its a shame because i really liked the boat few times I got to take it out. It handled some pretty rough stuff really well in a flash storm in the river. I also hate it because everything is jerry rigged or down right broken.

I had zero knowledge about boats when I got it and I think the seller took advantage of that.

Unfortunately I can't do some of the things that need done (like re wiring the boat because the lights don't work right) because of an injury I had.

Sorry for the rant hehe.

Pstephens46 - the leak was coming from 2 half circle rubber seals on the front of the motor up near the fly wheel. I'll take a picture when I am able.
                            The leak was hard to find because it wouldn't leak just running, it had to be in gear under load and then it was like old faithful. I could never find it because I never ran it with the throttle engaged with the cowling off. The mechanic found it though after a couple weeks.
                            Last edited by FL_Marine; 01-01-2017, 03:33 PM. Reason: Additional information

Comment

Those two half circles cover the tops of the balancer shafts. Hopefully the leak means someone replaced the shafts with the newer versions. They must not have put sealant on the plugs before reinstalling. You could call your dealer with the serial number to determine if the balancer shafts have been replaced under warranty. It was a known issue with that year's model. Most likely it has been done but you never know.

You probably don't have to rewire the entire boat to fix a few issues. I have replaced a few pumps on my 11 year old boat. Part of the fun...

Comment

Working...
                              X