F shaped fuel filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F shaped fuel filter

We talked about this one before in regard to VST servicing. Above the VST, about $15 for my F150 TXRD.

Question: Can it be cleaned by firing carb cleaner backwards through it? I have no idea what type of element it contains. Hoping it is a simple screen....

it is a "screen" - if you try real hard you can just get a glimpse through the hose barb

one of these days I'll cut one apart...

IMO it "could be possible" to backwash it -

depending on the amount and nature of any accumulated "stuff"

btw I've seen a reference that the "white" filters were 40 micron rating

superseded by "blue" (have yet to see one) that are 32 micron

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
      it is a "screen" - if you try real hard you can just get a glimpse through the hose barb

one of these days I'll cut one apart...

IMO it "could be possible" to backwash it -

depending on the amount and nature of any accumulated "stuff"

btw I've seen a reference that the "white" filters were 40 micron rating

superseded by "blue" (have yet to see one) that are 32 micron
      Thanks. I am digging into the VST tomorrow. A little exploration to see how it looks after 11 years and 3 owners.

Comment

the Yamaha brand with the blue end is 10 micron.
        according to Kennasaw.
        I don't attempt to clean them.
        to much trouble to access them if the cleaning does not work.

Comment

being you cannot see it well to tell how much/well it has been cleaned off by back spraying it, I would not try either.
          Now if you had a way to back flush with a large volume of cleaner in a closed system and could flow test afterwards ,maybe then

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
            Thanks. I am digging into the VST tomorrow. A little exploration to see how it looks after 11 years and 3 owners.
            Think of it this way, 10 miles out, 4-6' waves instead of the 1-2' that you thought would be there...$15...is it worth it? If you're going into the VST, spend the $15 on the F filter and don't forget a new seal for the VST cover. The HP filter can be cleaned, but if it's got a lot of time (11 yrs) on it...get one as well (a bit more expensive). I just did this on my LF225TXR and also put a new HP pump...much easier when it's opened up, than when your making it back to port at 2500 RPM or worse....with an unhappy fishing crew

Comment

Working...
            X