SS Prop Reconditioning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SS Prop Reconditioning

Found a used SS prop on ebay, exact diameter and pitch I need. Good brand too, michigan apollo, same make as the the prop I have now. Buy price is $150.

Prop looks in good shape, but I can see a few small chips on blade edges. Probably insignificant, but I would consider having it reconditioned. I've had AL props reco'd in the past, $30-$50. Never reco'd a SS prop.

Anyone have experience reco'd a SS prop? What estimated cost should I expect?

The same prop brand new is $100-$150 more than this used prop. If reco'd this used prop will cost me $100 or more, then buying used is pointless.
    Jason
    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Maybe just keep it "as-is" in your bilge for a spare?.....

Comment

last hub I had pressed in was $60 and that was over 10 years ago .

last time I had metal added was probably over 20 years and with a new hub it was maybe $120.
      that was for a 35 Johnson, so a small prop.
      for a spare it may be worth it, if the hub is good or has the owner replacable.
      always good to have another to throw on to get back home if you spin a hub or break a blade (but that don't happen very often with SS)

I would call a prop shop that you would be sending it to for repair and ask them what they would charge. I am sure it depends on the area what the cost is to keep the employees and overhead paid
      Last edited by 99yam40; 12-03-2016, 09:55 AM.

Comment

How bad is it? Nicks are one thing, chips another. You can file small imperfections removing very little metal.

Comment

Probably in the $60-$150 range.

Michigan is a relatively inexpensive wheel so the cost of repair vs buying new does enter into the equation quite a bit. If it was a more expensive brand, then it's less of an issue.

Don't really know exactly what "chips" means - your idea may be different than mine or someone else's. If they're deep enough that it requires welding new material in, then that pushes the price to the higher end of the range. If it's just filing, then the lower end. You may be able to do it yourself, but you'll need (well, "should") to make sure it's balanced (depending, of course, on how much filng/repair is done).
          Last edited by DennisG01; 12-03-2016, 11:15 AM.
          2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
          1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

http://fjprop.com/images/image/fjpro...g_oct_2011.pdf

I guess you're going with somewhere about 13 x 17-19 K?

Frank and Jimmie's wants $110, plus if needed welding minimum $15 welding charge of $120 per hour.

Ouch! not what it used to be when they were a small shop.
            Chuck,
            1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
              How bad is it? Nicks are one thing, chips another. You can file small imperfections removing very little metal.
              Here is the ebay link:
              Michigan Wheel Apollo Propeller 13 1/4 x 17 993144 | eBay

Doesn't look as though welding new material would be necessary, just some filing of edges. But even if that costs $100 to recondition it's not worth the buy.

Most of the local prop shops round me close on weekends. I'll call a few Monday to get a better idea of cost.
              Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Jason2tpa View Post
                Here is the ebay link:
                Michigan Wheel Apollo Propeller 13 1/4 x 17 993144 | eBay

Doesn't look as though welding new material would be necessary, just some filing of edges. But even if that costs $100 to recondition it's not worth the buy.

Most of the local prop shops round me close on weekends. I'll call a few Monday to get a better idea of cost.
                I took a look at your ebay link you posted. Looks like more than a few nicks that I thought. I blew the pic up and I didn't like the view. If I were to take a chance on it (probably would not), I'd offer $50 and no more. Up to you.

Just took a closer look at it. Is that lower left side blade flat at the tip? Pass!!!

[IMG]Prop by Charles Postis, on Flickr[/IMG]
                Chuck,
                1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

Agree. It's not worth the $150. It's not really that bad and, at least around here, I would guesstimate the repair to be somewhere in the middle range of what I listed. I don't think this is something the layperson can just file out, though - there are some deformities/dents in the blades from where the prop hit something. Those would have to be hammered out on a pitch block. The also don't show the condition of the plastic "hub". Based on the minor nicks/impacts, chances are good that the plastic hub is OK, though. But of course, that's just a guess.

Comment

Sure looks like that one blade is missing the outer edge to it. How do you loose the outer edge to one blade on a three blade prop?

Perhaps that blade was VERY damaged and the seller ground it down himself to clean it up. That prop has had a hard life as has it's LU...

I suspect your going to end up paying MORE for a used/ fixed, maybe wrong sized prop vs the local guy allowing you to try the NEW prop and swap out if necessary..

I've run aground many times mostly on oyster beds/sand and don't have ANY damage to it-NONE(SS Prop).

Just my 2cts but you already know my opinion on it...

Scott
                    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Yeah, I'll be passing on that prop. The more and more I look for a good used SS prop, the more I realize the price difference between used and new is minimal.

For example, take a look at my prop pictured. It's really as close to new condition as you can get. I'm asking $175, solely because the market for used props I see in excellent condition are priced $150-$275.

I guess the resale value of SS props is very good. With that said, why spend $175 on a used prop when you can buy the same brand as the used prop but new for $100-$150 more
                      Last edited by Jason2tpa; 01-08-2017, 08:52 PM.
                      Jason

Comment

I was in the area today of a local marine salvage shop so I stopped in to look at their props. Ironically, they have for sale a used prop of the same make and model of my current prop. It was the pitch and diameter of exactly what I need, though it condition was poor. It's cost.....$225. The exact same prop brand new can be found online at multiple listings for $235.

I was shocked, to say the least. Although I've decided to buy new, I'm still perplexed by the resale prices of used SS props. I think I should increase the asking price of my almost-new-condition SS prop by at least $100!!
                        Jason

Comment

Take a look sometime at what the higher end, brand specific (Mercury, for example) props go for. Upwards of $600-$800, being used on a normal, 150HP, 4-Stroke motor. Crazy!

Comment

Yeah I have, they are pricey. Yams props for my engine range in the $400s. Question is, if you trialed SS props from 5 different manufacturers, all having the same pitch, and similar cup & rake--how much difference in performance would you get? My bet is barely any, which isn't to imply all 5 are made the same. Just the tiny differences in contour won't have a great effect on performance.

Thus I reckon the difference in cost between a $300 Michigan Wheel and a $450 Yamaha is the manufacturers name.
                            Jason

Comment

Yeah, there's definitely the "name" thing going on. But, I would "hope" that there might some metallurgy differences, too. I agree - I can't imagine there would be a "vast" difference in performance, though. Certainly not enough for the average person to worry about.

Comment

Working...
                              X