Broken grease fitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken grease fitting

I have a 2004 Yamaha 40 hp 2 stroke outboard. I was greasing an alemite on the lower unit and the grease gun got stuck and the fitting eventually broke off. Is this a part that can be replaced at any part store and screwed back in? It looked like it could have possible sheared off and I wasn't sure what I needed to do. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Yes it can. The grease nipple is called a zerk fitting. It can be purchased at your local yamaha parts dealer. Inexpensive, $3-$6. Most dealers keep these in stock because of exactly what you experienced.

Obviously you'll want to carefully remove the threaded fitting that remains seated so to not strip the threads.
    Last edited by Jason2tpa; 11-29-2016, 11:06 PM.
    Jason
    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Metric tread

Comment

Will just a standard 6mm zerk fitting work from a local part store or does it have to be one from Yamaha? I assume its one with threads but its hard to tell because the threads sheared off.

Comment

don't know thread size, better order from yamaha. but first remove broken piece.

Comment

Once you remove it (or another easily accessed one), you can double check the threads. It's best to get a stainless zerk fitting. Where you get it doesn't matter, but of course the "easy" thing is to buy the Yamaha part.

FYI, many grease guns have an adjustable tip. The part of the tip that goes on the fitting can be screwed one way or the other to make it "grip" tighter or looser. Just in case yours has that feature and you didn't know it.
            2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
            1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

I have a jar of various zerk fittings, some straight, some 45 degree angle, some threaded and some press fit.....I've had good luck with the pressed in fittings and it eliminates the need to drill and tap a small hole in a sometimes tight area.
              The pressed in fittings have little ridges made into the press in part so they tap in and stay tight.....

Comment

Originally posted by CCDAWG94 View Post
                Will just a standard 6mm zerk fitting work from a local part store or does it have to be one from Yamaha? I assume its one with threads but its hard to tell because the threads sheared off.
                It's definitely threaded, both male fitting and female receiver. Doesn't matter the brand you use, so long as it's the correct metric size. But being that a yamaha zerk fitting is so inexpensive, if you buy yamaha you rule out any chance of buying the wrong generic fitting. Call your local yamaha parts dealers and ask if they have the part number in stock. Find the part number here, #13:

2004 40TLRC Yamaha Outboard BRACKET 1 Diagram and Parts
                Jason

Comment

The hard part may be simply removing the old part. IF it's NPT, it's going to be friggin tight.

Normal thread, not as bad once broke loose...

It's already got a hole down the middle, so hopefully the right sized "easy out" would work..

And make sure you use a SS replacement fitting..
                  Scott
                  1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

If greasing had been maintained, you'd think corrosion wouldn't set in too bad around the threads. Though with saltwater, anything is possible.
                    Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Jason2tpa View Post
                      If greasing had been maintained, you'd think corrosion wouldn't set in too bad around the threads. .
                      It wouldn't be corrosion I was looking at. If it's NPT thread, tapered, it gets tighter the farther in it's installed. If it simply bottoms out (the hex"head"), it just needs to be cracked loose.
                      Scott

Comment

Get it fixed? The old one come out ok?
                        Scott

Comment

Working...
                        X