No announcement yet.

150 flywheel magnet threads for puller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I performed annual service about 3 months ago , and nothing came out of the filter/oil , it was a dark **** color. HOWEVER , I only had 15lbs of oil pressure at idle , but 77 at half throttle . I verified with a manual gauge as well as the Yamaha yds system . I was experiencing a short steady alarm on initial startup that would go away if I turned off and re started. When I put the boat back in the water to test water pump impeller , it made a very loud squeal , and no water coming from the telltale. Took it back to the house , dropped the lower unit , made sure everything was lined up , went back to the ramp , started right up , no squeal , no noise. Checked oil pressure again at the dock , and still had the same 15 , and 77. I spoke with a Yamaha "**** certified technician" , and he says the short alarm at immediate startup is not an oil pressure alarm , but something else. He said oil pressure alarm does not come on instantly , there is a built in delay . He advised me to check the internal anodes , which I just replaced as part of the timing belt, balancer repairs. I'm going to drain the oil and replace the filter this evening and see what it looks like. I'll keep you posted. really don't want to pull the power head , but I really don't want to bay a new one either ! Thanks again for all the help

Comment

By the looks of it (I've never seen a bad one, mine was still intact), that balancer hasn't been doing anything but sitting still for awhile...

Just checked my F150 shop manual..

It calls for 65 lbs at IDLE SPEED..

15 at idle....

Double click to enlarge:
      Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 02-01-2017, 05:26 PM.
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Hopefully you have caught it in time. Maybe Rodbolt will check in on this. If you only have 15psi I wouldn't run it until a pro weighs in. Just for S&G saw the filter in half and see what you find.
        Last edited by pstephens46; 11-29-2016, 08:07 PM.

Comment

here is a pic of the OPs ballencer Rod can see
          I would think the pick up screen is full of plastic

Comment

Yes , I verified the idle speed oil pressure both in my manual , and with Yamaha .Since I don't really know when it failed , I have no idea how long I have been running it this way , but I know it's only been 7 hours since the last oil change , but again that predates the extreme whine at the ramp , but the low idle oil pressure predates the whine at the ramp

Comment

Based on my understanding, they fail slowly. Low whine that gets louder over time. I had to have my cowling off to hear mine couple years ago. There were a couple pitted gears. No oil pressure issues. I would bet yours were making some noise for awhile. I think you got lucky and caught it before major damage. But you will need more work to get the pressure back.

Comment

hey Rodbolt , tried to send a pm , your box is full!

Comment

he does not do PMs that is why his box stays full.
                  He has said in the past to keep questions on open the forum

Did you read post #14 where rod said this is what he did to the one the crabber had?
                  "cleaned the pan and replaced the strainer and cleaned the oil pressure control valve"

sounds like you will be pulling the power head
                  Last edited by 99yam40; 11-30-2016, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Plus 1 ^^^. 15 PSI vs 65 PSI, not good..

Hopefully, all that plastic is JUST in the pan and NOT thru-out the oiling system...

Yes, its a PIA to remove (not so bad to clean) BUT beats removing it to REPLACE the power-head and a lot cheaper

Wait for RB to chime in.
                    Scott
                    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

pull he power head.
                      pull the midsection.
                      clean the pan and strainer.
                      pull and clean the oil pressure control valve.
                      hope it did not suffer bearing damage.

that oil pump can suck the screen out of the strainer.

Comment

I guess if the oil Pressure control valve gets debris in it , that could cause the pressure to be low at idle in theory, is that correct?

Comment

that debris typically sticks the valve open and dumps oil pressure.

Comment

so then why is the pressure so high at half throttle

Comment

Originally posted by gsdanno1 View Post
                              so then why is the pressure so high at half throttle
                              how's this:

just like the water pump, and associated "poppet valve" -

the oil pump, being directly driven by the driveshaft,

is designed to output "sufficient" pressure at low rpms.

Which then means at higher rpms, it is producing "too much" -

so the control valve relieves.

The control valve being (stuck) open at low rpms is a problem

but it would be open anyway as the rpms increase

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                                By the looks of it (I've never seen a bad one, mine was still intact), that balancer hasn't been doing anything but sitting still for awhile...

Just checked my F150 shop manual..

It calls for 65 lbs at IDLE SPEED..

15 at idle....

Double click to enlarge:
                                I had my YDS hooked up to my F150. Oil pressure was 65.5 at idle.

I assume the strainer can be cleaned without disassembling oil pump? I remember Rodbolt warning how easy the screwheads strip on the pump. Not to be confused with the mounting bolts....
                                Last edited by pstephens46; 11-30-2016, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X