water flow issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water flow issue

I have a 1996 90hp Yamaha which is down on water flow.
    I have replaced the water pump and housing and replaced all seals as well.
    The water is leaking out from the front of the leg. I believe it is leaking/not sealed from the top of the water pump where tube enters.
    I have replaced both damper seals on either side of the grommet and hoped that would the sort the problem. when I first started up the outboard the water flow was great and then slowly dropped away to almost nothing again.
    I think the top damper seal/gasket is being push out of place by the water pressure.
    Can anybody help me??
    Is the damper seal meant to be located within the grommet?
    Is there meant to be a clamp to keep the seal in place?
    What am I doing wrong?
    Last edited by arokkrok; 11-24-2016, 08:54 PM. Reason: wasnt finished

A full MODEL # would help us...
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Its a 90trlu, im away working at the moment so exact model number not accesible. I was hoping to get it sorted when I get back as the weather has been perfect.

Comment

Is the engine overheating or an alarm indicating overheating?.....

Comment

The water pump housing itself (Not included in a WP kit), is that damaged, warped, over heated, even slightly?

That alone can cause pumping issues you describe...
          Scott

Comment

Originally posted by arokkrok View Post
            I have replaced the water pump and housing and replaced all seals as well.
            Seems he has already done that

Comment

Yeah already replaced housing and wp kit, I believe im loosing water from top of housing where water tube enters and it is flowing out through the front of the leg. As I mentioned I have also replaced grommet and damper seal. Its the seal im not sure of, I looked on boats.net at the 90hp trlu lower casing drive 2 diagram and its part #13 that im not sure about. Should this be seated around the grommet???? As it has lip top and bottom with the middle section indented....or is there meant to be a stainless clamp etc to hold this in position.

Comment

I would drop the lower unit again and make sure everything is still in place. maybe one of the grommets got pushed out of place

or a hole in tube
                Last edited by 99yam40; 12-02-2016, 12:37 AM.

Comment

I've never heard of a SS clamp on any Yamaha's around that water tube(from this forum).

I believe (again from reading here), 99Yam or *** please correct me but isn't there some sort of seal at the very top of the tube, accessible only by removing the power head?

I've never seen or done one, again, just from reading here.

Some folks tried to get around pulling the power head but nope... Weather this applies to your engine or not, someone more knowledgeable will have to chime in..

Same issues as you have BTW....
                  Scott

Comment

Working...
                  X