question on manual and oil change kit on amazon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question on manual and oil change kit on amazon

looking to download a manual for my 4 stroke 115 is the correct manual F115 or just plain 115 under the manual download page? also there's a oil change kit on amazon that's $50.00 is this a good price? its 4 quarts the filter and drain bolt gaskets.
    what does the f in front of the 115 stand for Four stroke?

Originally posted by Bushgator View Post
    does the f in front of the 115 stand for Four stroke?
    Yes, exactly.

By convention, referring to a "plain" 115 would mean a 2 smoke.

Personally, I use ~$16/gallon motor oil, $4 Motorcraft brand filters, and don't mess with the drain plug gasket. But I'm notably eccentric....
    Last edited by fairdeal; 11-18-2016, 10:50 AM.

Comment

personnaly I don't remove the drain plug. I do have a modified drill bit and helicoil tap set for rethreading the oil pan.

I use a vacuum extractor and suck the oil out the dipstick hole.

sometimes the thread sticks to the plug and strips the pan on removal.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
        personnaly I don't remove the drain plug. I do have a modified drill bit and helicoil tap set for rethreading the oil pan.

I use a vacuum extractor and suck the oil out the dipstick hole.

sometimes the thread sticks to the plug and strips the pan on removal.
        I really need to get an extractor. Oil plug on mine is set at an odd angle. Worry every time I have to thread back in....

Comment

Rodbolt mentioned the threads coming out with the plug, not necessarily cross threading the only issue to worry about

Comment

You should see the angle. Warned a guy down the street when he got his F150TXRD. He didn't listen. Later he tells me it took him 30mins to get the plug started correctly.

I would agree best to leave it alone.

Comment

I bought both the oil extractor (pump hooks up to a drill motor) and slips over the dip stick hole.

I also have the "Seawell tilt and drain" :
              ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzqlgZro-wU )

The extractor will pump most oil out within a minute but tends to get messy. It will leave maybe a cup of old oil in the sump..

I prefer the "tilt and drain" as the video shows, it's literally that simple and not nearly as messy. While it's draining, I'm swapping the oil filter... Never had an issue re-threading into the block but I torque the drain plug to 12' lbs, like the oil filter, it's not going anywhere..

Now if I had to work on someone else's engine, I'd probably use the pump just in case someone prior buggered up the threads or over torqued.

No one else has ever touched my drain plug (short of the factory).
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I use a piece of pvc pipe to drain it using same tilt procedure. That oil comes out fast!

I prefer the video suggested below yours in the link. "Girl in bikini changes oil"

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                  I prefer the video suggested below yours in the link. "Girl in bikini changes oil"
                  Ah yes - "Jessica".

I haven't seen that in a few weeks - probably time to watch it again...

Comment

Nice motor...

Comment

The "trim and tilt" certainly look good!
                      Scott
                      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                      X