Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96' 130hp SS Help!

Hey Everyone!

Looking for some help on my friends 96' 130hp Saltwater Series V4. Were currently in the process of re wiring and wanted to throw on a few gauges up at the dash including temp, water pressure, trim tilt. He already has both Multi Function Speedo and Tach as well as fuel gauge. Curious if it would be possible to plug in a water pressure sender to the block and run the hose or wire up to the gauge as well as a temp sender. Anyone know where both these threads would be for installing the senders? Also what parts are we looking for? Seem to be having a hard time finding the part numbers etc online. Were both a little lost as he doesnt have any of the original rigging manuals etc. Appreciate any help. Thank you!!!

P.S. Were aware that the alarm will go off if the motor is overheating, but we would like to eliminate that from happening by monitoring temp/water pressure first.

Monitoring engine temp can be done by installing a temp sender onto the block. Remove a head bolt and screw in the sender. To monitor both port and starboard heads you can use a toggle switch to flip back and forth. The temp sender looks likes the picture below. Be sure the temp sender you purchase has metric threads.

As far as monitoring water pressure, can't help you there. Frankly I think monitoring water pressure is just a bit overkill, especially if you'll be monitoring engine temp. If water pressure were falling due to a poor water pump function or blocked water inlet, eventually you'll see an increase in engine temp. And eventually the increasing temp will cause the temp alarm to sound.

You're installing an engine temp monitoring gauge, and you have the yamaha temp notification if temp is high–and the same one cuts the engine rpms if you continued running engine while temp alarm sounded. So you know, just a bit overkill.
    Last edited by Jason2tpa; 12-03-2016, 07:53 PM.
    Jason
    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

at the top of the block on both banks there is a 14mm hex plug.
      port side is for water pressure stbd side is for water temp.
      both kits can be purchased at any Yamaha dealer.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
        Rodbolt...is the location of the 14mm hex plugs the standard for all yam motors?

Also, the terms "water temp" and "engine temp" seem to be interchangeable but I don't know how. I would think these are two different temps. And if the water temp sender your using makes contact with the block, then isnt it really a engine temp sender?
        Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Jason2tpa View Post
          Rodbolt...is the location of the 14mm hex plugs the standard for all yam motors?

Also, the terms "water temp" and "engine temp" seem to be interchangeable but I don't know how. I would think these are two different temps. And if the water temp sender your using makes contact with the block, then isnt it really a engine temp sender?
          Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
          Rodbolt says noting of engine temp, he says water pressure and water temperature. both sensors protrude in the block and not actually contact the block. The sensor housings would
          Chuck,
          1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

Not even hardly. Some, but not all, V6's have ports at the top of the heads. Not all do. The I2's, I3's and I4's have them in other places.

Comment

It depends. Some water temperature sensors (Yamaha) screw into the block where water passing by provides an indication of water temperature. Now another water temperature sensor (Teleflex) may impinge upon the block to get an indirect indication of water temperature.

Think of the over temperature indication device for a Yamaha. A thermoswitch plugs into a hole in the block but does not have water flowing over it. But it is considered to be monitoring water temperature. The switch closes when the water gets too hot making the metal too hot which makes the switch too hot and close.

Now there are thermosensors used on some blocks that are no where near a water passageway. These are referred to as engine temperature sensors. And they may be of different types. Not all models have them.

A Yamaha is not a Yamaha is not a Yamaha.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                It depends. Some water temperature sensors (Yamaha) screw into the block where water passing by provides an indication of water temperature. Now another water temperature sensor (Teleflex) may impinge upon the block to get an indirect indication of water temperature.

Your words in red is what had me a little confused, as it pertains to measuring the true temperature of water. Unless the part of the water temp sensor that screws into the block is heat resistant, the sensor will not only be measuring water temp but also block temp. Therefore it can't be a true water temp, right? Or am I just overthinking this?
                Jason

Comment

Your words in red is what had me a little confused, as it pertains to measuring the true temperature of water. Unless the part of the water temp sensor that screws into the block is heat resistant, the sensor will not only be measuring water temp but also block temp. Therefore it can't be a true water temp, right? Or am I just overthinking this?
                  Let me give you a visual...

[IMG]KIMG0124 by Charles Postis, on Flickr[/IMG]

In this pic, I have the two 14MM plugs w/red washers out and are on top of motor. If you look just beneath the heads on each side you will see the threaded bores where they go. The bores protrude into the water cooling passages. A Yamaha water temperature sender/sensor will have the thermistor protruding through the brass threads and past the bore on the block sensing water temperature. An electric water pressure sender will be the same. A mechanical sender that attaches to a hose (that you have to run to the gauge, yuck!!!) then to a gauge will not protrude into the water passage.

Personally, I would not go to the trouble and expense with either water temperature or pressure gauge. My multi-function gauges and warning system are reliable and work fine for me.
                  Chuck,
                  1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

think about this,
                    if there is no water around the area of the sensor or switch even if it is suppose to be there, what does it read.
                    steam, metal block or head temp?

there are times when there is no liquid around those areas when things go wrong

Comment

Ah ha, now I understand. The 14mm hex threads don't come in contact with the block, sheathed so to speak. Sweet, thanks for the details.
                      Jason

Comment

The temp sender is heat resistant. It is made to operate in a hot environment. In water up to 212 degrees. In engine coolant up to maybe 300 degrees.

Part of the sender is actually within the water/coolant stream. Part of the sender is screwed into the block. Or cylinder head. The block or the cylinder head where the sender is screwed in will be at or darn near the water temperature.

The sender is actually a temperature variable resistor. As the temperature of the sender changes the resistance changes. The changing resistance is displayed on a gauge in the form of degrees or in the form of a needle moving.

Comment

Working...
                        X