No spark.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No spark.

I have a 1986 40hp Yamaha outboard. I have no spark on top cylinder. I have rotated coils all are firing on 2nd and 3rd cylinders. Is this a bad power pack? Thank you for any help.

Mako,
    I have looked at the motor diagram for an 86 40 hp in the above online catalog.
    Normally, the CDI is fed a signal from the pulser coil assy for the timing on each cylinder spark.
    Or a crank position sensor provides a signal to the CDI for the same purpose.
    I can't find either the pulser coil assy or the crank position assy in the diagram, so I will assume the pulser coil assy is built into the stator assy and is not listed separately.
    The pulser coil assy could be bad, or the connections from there to the CDI. Check all connections to the CDI - may be corroded and not making good contact.
    If all signals are getting to the CDI, and there is no spark on one cylinder, then the CDI is probably bad.
    Would be helpful to you to have a Yamaha shop manual - can order online at www.yamahapubs.com.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

Working...
    X