No Spark Cylinder 2 1997 80hp Outboars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Spark Cylinder 2 1997 80hp Outboars

My C80TLRV 80 horsepower 1997 Yamaha outboard recently started missing. I came to the conclusion it was cylinder 2 by removing the spark plug wire on cylinders 1 and 3, one at a time, and noting the change in RPM of the motor. When I removed the wire from cylinder 2, there was no change. I changed all three spark plugs but that was not the problem. I checked the compression on all 3 cylinders and they were at 90 psi. I switched the coil from cylinder 1 to cylinder 2 and still no spark on 2. What do I need to check next? Appreciate any and all ideas.
    Thanks,

Have you tested the crank position sensor?

Comment

No I have not checked that. I will see if I can find out where it is located. thanks.

Comment

Does that 3 cylinder motor have just 2 pulser coils like the 90s?
        My C40 has 3 , one for each cylinder to tell it when to fire.

Measuring the ignition systems peak voltages into and out of CDI should direct you to where the problem is located

Comment

The C80TLRV only has 1 pulser coil.

Comment

and that 1 pulser coil controls spark on 1&3. 2 is made up in the CDI based on the CPS input.

Comment

Measured the resistance of the CPS this morning and got a reading of 200 ohms. Manual says it should read between 158 and 236 ohms so I guess I am off looking for something else.

Comment

After I measured the resistance of the CPS I looked up the cost of a new CDI and find it is around $600. So before I spend that money, I want to be absolutely certain the CPS is bad. Are there any other tests I should run to totally rule out the CPS. Help is really appreciated.

Comment

using a peak reading volt meter or a digital meter with a DVA adapter.

check the output. voltage

Comment

I went ahead and replaced the CPS on the outboard and unfortunately, that is not the problem. Will start a new thread on how to check out the CDI. Thanks for all your help.

Comment

Working...
                    X