90hp wont shut off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90hp wont shut off

Hello, I have a 1985 Yamaha 90hp 2 stroke. It will start and run no problems, will not turn off. So far I have taken apart 703 control unit, checked for corrosion in joins etc and nothing untoward. I have ohm tested the switch and I get a reading in the off position. I have also checked and cleaned up the 10 pin wiring jacket/housing and all it functioning fine. I have disconnected the white wire from the cdi, started the motor and ground this wire and the motor does not stop. Next I am going to run an independant wire from the switch to the cdi unit and test that. Any suggestions. Thanks.

did you ground the point on the CDI that the white wire ties into?

Comment

http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...h23386-p2.html

Post #22 specifically..
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thanks Boscoe, Towsend and yam99. I conducted checks as described and engine shuts off when earthing wire from white cdi point is grounded. So CDI is good. I ran a wire from the switch to the white cdi point, still will not shut. So now I suspect key switch. Although I get an ohm reading in the off position for that switch. I am stumped. I cannot see any break in the wiring from the switch to the engine. Obvioiusly the connection is not being made. But where, hmmm.

Comment

Just thought I'd post how I fixed the problem. Switch was good. The black ground wire which runs from the switch to the harness was broken somewhere along the line. I tied in a new wire from the black switch wire and cut in before the harness, in the transom area. It was about 4 or so metres of wire. So I looped the black wire in essence. Anyway fixed the problem. There must be a break in the black wire somewhere along the line. Rather than cutting open all that neatly packaged bundle of wires, I looped a new single wire. Summing up, this wasn't any easy fix. Pulling apart the 703 unit, multi metre testing using ohms (resistance), troubleshooting around cdi, it took a lot of mucking around and time. The pictures were very helpful and thanks to others for posting. Hope this helps. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X