newby 1996 g50 help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newby 1996 g50 help

hi i am new to this forom can some one tell me what this is on the side of the carbs?and what it does and should it be set to open or closed?
    thanks. will up lode pics
    by the way my outboard is a 60hp not a 50 sorry
    Last edited by 24carrot; 10-26-2016, 05:41 AM.

My guess , as no pics
    it is a red lever you speak about.

should be in the normal (Auto) position, not open, or closed

Comment

please find pic attached
      Attached Files

Comment

hi thanks for that but if you look at pic it just says open and closed?
        Last edited by 24carrot; 10-25-2016, 03:32 PM.

Comment

should have diagram sticker on silencer (black plastic box over carbs) showing positions
          check it, should have 3 positions
          auto should be full Counter clockwise

Comment

See page 5-8 of this owner's manual for instructions.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/s...-02-90_603.pdf

Comment

thanks for this and my outboard is 60hp not a 50 as ifist sed

Comment

If it's the red switch that's shared by many different hp's, you have a nice bullet proof 2-stroke outboard.

The important part of that switch is satisfactory operation when kept in normal position at all times including starting. If you need to play with it to get going or otherwise, that's a tattle tale for carburetor issues.

If you're new to this outboard or boating in general, I suggest researching the effects of ethanol fuel blends here and elsewhere. About five years ago on the heels of an expensive carburetor rebuild I replaced the entire fuel system from engine connector to and including the tank and now remove all fuel between trips. No fuel means no fuel to go bad.

Before the last trip I renewed the overdue 10 micron water separating fuel filter cartridge on our underused boat. The 90 hp 2-stroke then ran like someone set fire to its backside. I'm thinking the filter was starting to starve the engine.

Comment

Working...
                X