Both main digital gauges very dim..4stroke90

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by throrope View Post
    Likely the boat manufacturer or dealer installed the console and gauges and no schematic was assembled.

Our boat has a rat's nest of wires and jumpers from console (not outboard) to switches and breakers and back to the stern mounted batteries, lights, etc. obviously installed by the most talented orangutan. The rig appeared assembled for multiple applications and longer boats. The excess was doubled back on itself and hand wrapped with typical electrical tape for a couple feet. None of the heat shrink on the crimp connectors was sealed.

When installing the radio and gps, I just plain had enough, put a six circuit fuse box on the accessory circuit and wired all from there. I pulled the tape off the doubled back section and used a length of plastic spiral wire wrap to gather the now individual wires into a single "harness" and ran it to the far corner of the console before turning back to the stern.

I hope you find better access to the console than through the gauge mounting plate and find the similar excess length that made my life easier.

On another occasion, our GPS unit kept dropping out. Just before sending it back, I encountered a typical auto style fuse in an in-line holder at the battery on the main hot wire powering the console. It was corroded in the holder. As the additional resistance built due to heating, the voltage dropped out of the GPS's operating range and it safely shut down. Then later, when the fuse cooled, it worked. Drove me nuts until I found that fuse that is now packed in dielectric.

Please keep us posted.
    I wasn't searching Key West boats for the Yamaha schematic.. The boat harness and the Yamaha harness should be separate.. I would think Yamaha should have a complete one somewhere for their mechanics as well as their mechanic customers and this is the Yamaha forum on the Yamaha Genuine Parts site.. Is there anyone from the parts store reading this? I'used schematics in the auto industry for yrs and feel blind without a road map. Thanks again and again to all here..
    Key West 1720cc
    Yamaha F90TLRD mfg.05/04

Comment

first google hit:

http://tinyurl.com/zu6rah9

2012 Rigging Guide - pdf to read or download

in "Section 5" -page 178 of 310 pages - "Wiring Diagrams"

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
        first google hit:

Fair deal, Fairdeal. Good find!! saved to file.
        Chuck,
        1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

Originally posted by 8characters View Post
          I wasn't searching Key West boats for the Yamaha schematic.. The boat harness and the Yamaha harness should be separate.. I would think Yamaha should have a complete one somewhere for their mechanics as well as their mechanic customers and this is the Yamaha forum on the Yamaha Genuine Parts site.. Is there anyone from the parts store reading this? I'used schematics in the auto industry for yrs and feel blind without a road map. Thanks again and again to all here..
          It is suggested that you take the boat to a dealer and let them sort it all out for you.

You are not going to be happy or content with any Yamaha data that you find.

Yamaha data is written with the expectation that one has rudimentary training in and experience with Yamaha outboard motor products.

Actually, if one cannot troubleshoot a very simple and basic gauge problem without having a Yamaha document to hold their hand, all the more reason that the boat and motor need to be looked at by a mechanic.

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
            first google hit:

Thanks.. I found that 2012 when I started or I should say when someone here alerted me I should be looking for a rigging guide.. My engine is 7-8yrs older and I didn't even open that 2012..It's what comes up when I search 2005 rigging guide.Now that you bring it up again I'm going to look at it more..thanks ...
            Key West 1720cc
            Yamaha F90TLRD mfg.05/04

Comment

Working...
            X