More HPDI Musings; ? for rodnut and others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More HPDI Musings; ? for rodnut and others

I presume that YDIS will display injector pulse widths for an HPDI injector. If so, have you ever monitored the pulse width to determine how long a big block HPDI injector remains open in milliseconds? At nominally 1000 psi I am thinking that it cannot be for long.

My initial thought seems to be that if the HPDI injector is working at 20 plus times the nominal pressure of a standard injector (1000 psi versus 45 psi), with the assumption that the orifices of both injectors are the same size (which they my not be, I don't know), that the HPDI injector would only need to be open for 1/20th of the time that a normal injector remains open to deliver the same amount of gasoline.

And since the HPDI injector may be open less than 1/20th of the time of a normal injector the current flow through same would be a hellava lot less. Which might be part of the explanation as to how the injector drivers can be operating on a 20 amp fuse but providing a 90 volt output across a 1 ohm injector. There is some voo doo doo doo going on the injector driver that explains all of this.

unlike standard 2 stroke OX66 or 4 stoke MPI the HPDI must wait until the intake and ex ports are closed by the upward bound piston THEN it injects.
    it does not have the time luxury of the others.

Comment

I know. I am just wondering what the injector pulse width may be. One millisecond, two milliseconds, half a millisecond...

We tend to think of one millisecond as being fast. The computer thinks it is loafing around for 999 milliseconds waiting to pulse the injector again.

Comment

Interesting information in the link below . However, it is on the internet accurate or not Rodbolt!
        I'll let you gurus comment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mut0Lpg5k4
        Last edited by cpostis; 09-25-2016, 02:34 PM. Reason: Added image
        Chuck,
        1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

Originally posted by cpostis View Post
          Interesting information in the link below . However, it is on the internet accurate or not Rodbolt!
          I'll let you gurus comment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mut0Lpg5k4
          Great video. Thanks for the link.

Now I want to know how adding a resistor ahead of a low resistance injector can cause that injector to open faster than a higher resistance injector without the added resistor, even though they might have the same total resistance.

The more I know the more I need to know.

Comment

Working...
          X