No announcement yet.

Voltage irregular

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New stator installed. Ran the boat all day today and all readings were perfect.
    Back on the water. I'm a happy camper.

Comment

Originally posted by Lunker Larry View Post
      New stator installed. Ran the boat all day today and all readings were perfect.
      Back on the water. I'm a happy camper.
      Congratulations Larry! Happy boating.
      Chuck,
      1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

as long as you are happy that is all that counts.

But the specs are minimum peak voltages.
        over that minimum is not a problem

special meter is needed to measure
        or a DVA adapter with regular meter
        A Fluke set to peak will not work the same

Comment

Originally posted by cpostis View Post
          Here's what LIT-18616-02-70, the manual for your motor F75TLRC says. Seems wrong to me?

Boscoe, are the specs listed in the image of the manual page above correct or not? where did you get your specs from on stator voltage?
          Just curious.
          Chuck,
          1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

Originally posted by cpostis View Post
            Boscoe, are the specs listed in the image of the manual page above correct or not? where did you get your specs from on stator voltage?
            Just curious.
            Seems wrong to me as well.

The F75TLRD (OP's model) uses the same stator as does the F90TLRD. The SM for the F90TLRD shows output voltages as 12.4 at cranking RPM, 45.3 at 1500 RPM and 98.3 at 3500 RPM.

I then cross checked the SM voltages in the tune up specification book. The tune up book shows what the F90TLRD SM shows. 12.4 at cranking RPM, 45.3 at 1500 RPM and 98.3 at 3500 RPM.

These are peak unloaded voltages. Who knows how the OP's stator was checked.

Comment

With these things, if much higher voltage is indicated, it could well be poor or deteriorating connections depending on where voltages are measured.
              Hence, I am not sure the new stator solved the problem but rather the make and break connections of removing and reinstalling (albeit new) the stator solved the problem by re-establishing good connections. My guess, don't want stators getting a bad name that they may not deserve.

Comment

Hey everyone. Wanted to finalize this post. Initially when I used the boat after the stator change, everything seemed to be OK for the day I used it. Second trip out voltages were all over again.
                A new rectifier was installed and rectified (no pun here) the problem.
                The initial confusion on this was my tech had concerns on the voltage he was seeing and what was in the manual. It didn't seem right. When he called Yamaha he was told the manual was wrong and with the voltage he was seeing, Yamaha made the recommendation that it was the stator so he went with that.

Yamaha has accepted their error and took back the stator. I was fully reimbursed and since I'm reaching the 1000 hour mark on my motor my timing belt is ready to be replaced. My mechanic said he will take care of that replacement in the spring for the confusion and my troubles.

Thanks for all the opinions and suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                X