1986 yamaha 2 stroke won't turn off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986 yamaha 2 stroke won't turn off

Hi all, I have a 1986 yamaha 2 stroke with a 703 control box that wont shut off when you turn the key or pull the kill switch, only way to shut it off is to starve it of fuel. I have had a guy look over it and check and fix the grounding wires. It worked again for a few times, but is now back to not turning off, any ideas? He is suggesting a new switch but i don't think that is the problem after reading other forums. Thanks for the help.

you have lost the ground path to the switch,the ground path across the switch or the ground path between the switch and the CDI(white wire) or the CDI failed internally.
    all easy to test.

Comment

How do i go about testing, i am extremely bad when it comes to electrics?

Comment

I am even worse at identifying what motor is being discussed while behind a monitor.

Comment

Is the motor gray in colour?

Comment

The motor is a greyish blue colour yes.

Comment

they are trying to get you to post what model motor you have.
              not sure why people think everyone should have a crystal ball giving that info

Comment

1986 90hp 2 stroke. 90AETO with 703 control box

Comment

do you have a multi meter ?
                  disconnect the white wire at the CDI,test from the harness side of the white wire to the engine block with the key off.
                  should show 0 or very near 0 OHMs.
                  if not find the break in the circuit between the engine block and the white wire at the CDI.

Comment

Working...
                  X