Accurate fuel sender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accurate fuel sender

I installed Moeller reed fuel sender and really not happy how accurate it is. May be Yamaha gauge works better with traditional swing arm sender? How accurate Yamaha fuel gauge? May be I just don't know how to read digital fuel indicator. Thank you.
    Last edited by amahaork; 09-03-2016, 08:55 PM.

CENTROID PRODUCTS - Computerized Tank Display - Electronic Senders - capacitive fuel gauges

Comment

In my experience, a swing arm float fuel sender works best with an analog fuel gauge. If you have a digital fuel gauge then the fuel sender boscoe pasted works best.
      Jason
      1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

You may want to read the owners manual on the Yamaha website under rigging/gauges for the Command Link gauge if thats what you have.

Comment

The Centroid sender will work with the needle and dial analog fuel quantity gauge, the conventional multifunction gauge or the Command Link gauge.

The latter two are extremely accurate. The first one is also accurate but it is not dampened so that the needle may swing a bit if the tank is half full and the boat is pitching up and down in the briney blue.

Now what the Centroid sender, or any sender for that matter, will not do, is to compensate for the fact that when the boat is at rest the tank is level and when the boat is on plane the tank is pitched up by a number of degrees. This will cause the fuel level to be shown a bit differently when the boat is running versus when it is at rest.

Comment

Originally posted by amahaork View Post
            I installed Moeller reed fuel sender and really not happy how accurate it is. May be Yamaha gauge works better with traditional swing arm sender? How accurate Yamaha fuel gauge? May be I just don't know how to read digital fuel indicator. Thank you.
            Maybe you should state why you are not happy with the accuracy

Comment

I am not saying not happy, just think that reading not corresponding with amount of gas I pour. it is not showing immediately level of I just pour into tank. Before I had analog gauge and that may play role, not used digital bars before, just not used to it.

Comment

sounds like it has dampening so that the level does not move so much if the boat is pitching up and down.

Just like modern autos/PU trucks.
                takes awhile for the gauge to change as you fill the tank

Comment

Originally posted by amahaork View Post
                  I am not saying not happy, just think that reading not corresponding with amount of gas I pour. it is not showing immediately level of I just pour into tank. Before I had analog gauge and that may play role, not used digital bars before, just not used to it.
                  Well, depends on shape/orientation of your tank. Most (if not all) gauges will measure level, not volume. Bar gauges will only show the level in increments (1/8th, 1/4, 3/8ths. etc.... Each bar may represent 1/8th of a tank fuel level by height, not volume. IMO, bar gauges are not as quick to react with their sensors. Therefore there may be more of a delay. Analog gauges will show variable level, as the level rises/falls. Resistance in the sender will send a signal to the gauge accordingly. I think, not sure, analog gauges are more reactive (quicker).

My tank is "V" shaped. between say 3/8 to full tank volume will be consistent with level. Below 3/8 tank, the amount of fuel in the tank is less than what a gauge will read (level). Remember, the sender reads level not volume.
                  Chuck,
                  1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

The Yamaha fuel level bar graph is highly dampened. So too is the Centroid sender. They (Centroid) make a special sender for the Yamaha fuel level bar graph so that both are not dampened.

Here is a fuel quntity gauge that has 20 calibration points. It will accommodate tanks that have irregular shapes. Deadly accurate. I could ride up the river in my boat and as the fuel burn increased by a gallon I could see the gauge indicate a gallon less gasoline.

CruzPro FU60 Digital Fuel Gauge/Consumption Calculator and Alarm

But in my 100 gallon tank it would show a different quantity when the boat was off plane versus when it was on plane. Just the nature of the beast.

Comment

Working...
                    X