2002 200 hp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 200 hp

Have worked on a few Mercurys over the years new to Yamaha ordered a lower unit for a guy an put it on. After about 10 hours he has called to tell me he has no reverse, forward is okay. what do i need to look for to start with Thanks

Complete model identity is needed.

Comment

VX200TLRA The one that i pulled off have a broken drive shaft right about the pinion

Comment

Originally posted by plowboy63 View Post
        VX200TLRA The one that i pulled off have a broken drive shaft right about the pinion

what does the old ones problems have to do with the new one you put on?

Comment

So I guess the L/U you pulled had the broken drive shaft (so irrelevant)?
          When you installed the new or otherwise L/U (you did not say), was both the L/U and the remote in in the same gear? Maybe you have to remove it again and try again. You can also check the shift cable adjustment.
          Chuck,
          1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

Remove the lower unit.

Now, make sure your helm control is in neutral.

Inside the cowl is a slide shifter mechanism. There should be a line there
            showing neutral as well. That SHOULD/Needs to be lined up.

On your NEW LU, turn the shifter spline until you find neutral, no clicking with spinning the prop, etc.

Grease up the mid section bushing (with the correct grease) and splines, install LU.. Done..
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

okay thanks will take a look at all that has been posted the old LU has nothing to do with the new LU would not let me post just the model not enough characters so i just added that sorry for the confusion

Comment

if it worked for 10 hours and now it does not, something has changed or broke.
                if it has neutral and forward but not reverse linkage is still moving some.
                Some Yamaha's have it spring loaded to forward so you have to compress the spring to get it to reverse.

Drop lower unit and shift by hand to make sure the stuff inside still functions or not

I have found shift shafts twisted and pin through the dog and shaft bent befor on totally different motor.
                Just have to inspect to see what you can find
                Last edited by 99yam40; 09-04-2016, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Plus .75 with 99Yam ^^^

I missed that it worked for 10 hours ( my boo).

It's possible your getting full engagement in forward and no reverse, with the spline POSSIBLY being off one tooth.
                  Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 09-04-2016, 03:30 PM.
                  Scott

Comment

will post what i find when boat gets back, This a new aftermarket LU. It seem to shift fine after putting it on. I'm just hoping something has gone wrong with shift cable and not the LU Thanks for all the input

Comment

after market may have something to do with this

Comment

found problem to the shift cable. The outside case had split Thanks for all the input

Comment

Originally posted by plowboy63 View Post
                          found problem to the shift cable. The outside case had split Thanks for all the input
                          K.I.S.S.

Keep it Simple.........
                          Chuck,
                          1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

Tks for the update!
                            Scott

Comment

Working...
                            X