Speedometer on 2007 250 Yamaha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedometer on 2007 250 Yamaha

My speedometer on my 2007 Yamaha 250 quit working. The guage still seems to work but there are dashes where speed is displayed. I cleaned out port on motor but that didn't help.

What I'd like to know is where speed sensor is and how to get to hose between that and port so I can blow that out. Hose is not visible on outside like on older models.

Help??

The use of the word "dashes" indicates to me that maybe this is a Command Link speedometer.

The use of a Command Link speedometer indicates to me that this is an F250 four stroke motor. Not a 250 two stroke motor.

If just the pitot tube was clogged then the speedometer might indicate some numerical value. Might be zero or it might be 30. The fact that dashes are appearing indicates that the speed sensor is no longer communicating with the speedometer.

The speed sensor is located at the very back of the motor in the bottom of the engine pan. See diagram below.

Is the speed sensor original to the motor? Early sensors had a known failure problem. Remove the electrical connector and inspect the sensor for the presence of any water or corrosion. Also, look at the hexagonal area and let us know the size of the wrench that it would take. That will indicate new sensor type or old sensor type.

Comment

To Boscoe99:
      That was perfect. I thank you so much. The sensor had become unplugged somehow.

I had recently had in shop for something else and it must have happened there. I dare not wonder how that happened.

Thanks, again, from Perdido Bay in Alabama

H Clapp

Comment

did you inspect it like he said and is it the newer version?

Comment

Working...
        X