Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grounding aftermarket temp sender through block

Hi,

I have a question regarding grounding a temperature sender probe on a 1993 115HP V4 Yamaha outboard (model 6E5 - long leg - 115BET).

I have a couple of aftermarket temperature gauges with senders installed in the ports just behind the top of each head on the motor (where Yamaha say to install their pressure and temperature sensors). The brass sender is installed in a brass adaptor collar which is screwed into the ports just behind the head with the probe sticking into the water jacket.

The temperature sender earths through its thread into the block rather than through its own dedicated earth wire. I have applied Loctite 569 on the brass adaptor collar threads which contact the block.

My question is will this create an issue with corrosion or something of this nature over time if the probe is earthing through the block? I assume it is passing a small current into the surrounding area to create an electrical circuit.

The boat is used in freshwater rather than saltwater. I have the option to change the probes to a version where it provides a dedicated terminal for an earth wire thus not using the engine block for earth.

I have attached a picture of the how the brass probe is installed on the outboard.
    Attached Files

use the block.
    it wont hurt anything.
    it is also how the Yamaha senders worked.

Comment

No worries, thanks for the reply rodbolt. Much appreciated.

I shall leave the setup the way it currently is now knowing there will be no issues.

Comment

Working...
      X