2008 F20 flooding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 F20 flooding

Couple weeks ago boat was running great. Last time out boat started right up and I idled out of no wake. As soon as I throttled up and got on plane it bogged down and stalled. Couldnt get started. Smelled heavy gas smell. This is what I did:
    1- Full disassemby of carb and cleaned it and all jets passages etc. Was very clean as I try to keep on top of it.
    2- New plugs
    3- New fuel filter
    4- new 2.5 gallon tank
    5- new yamaha fuel hose with primer bulb.

Took it out today to test. Stayed on plane ran great for 2 miles or so and bam bogs down and stalls just like last time. Couldnt start it again and was flooded out. As soon as I drained carb of excess gas it fired right up. So obviously its flooding but dont know why. Fuel pump seems to be working as carbs getting plenty of gas. Does the fuel pump on an F20 regulate or can it be sending too much fuel to carb? If not pump what in carb might be culprit? I cant think of anything else to check at this point!!

Dave

float should close needle and seat to stop fuel once chamber is full.

Maybe trash getting into that keeping it from sealing off properly

Comment

A simple test for the needle and seat.

Remove the carb and the float bowl. Hook up a fuel / hose to the carb
      fuel line inlet. Hook up a small auxiliary tank (with fuel or water) to the fuel line (I use a small lawn mower fuel tank with an on / off valve).

Allow the fluid / gravity to pull the liquid to the carb. When you lift up the float, it should STOP FLOWING-NO DRIPS, NOTHING. Drop the float, liquid will flow.

You may want to re-check your float level as well.

Re-check that the float does NOT leak (literally sinks and stays open indefinitely)

If you have a brake bleeder/vacuum tool, you can also flip the empty carb upside down. Try to pull a vacuum at the inlet. With the float upside down(closed), you should NOT be able to pull any vacuum...

If you do, you have a leak, the needle and/or seat

**I'm not sure about your model, but when some fuel pump diaphragms fail/leak, they flood the engine..Someone else will have to chime in about that....
      Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 08-21-2016, 04:39 PM.
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
      X