Steering glands replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering glands replacement

Please advise couple methods to remove support bracket to replace steering glands. Looks like rusted shut (aluminium+stainless steel+salt water+20 years)
    Is it possible to replace glands without removing those supports, but freeing piston rod only?
    Appreciate your comments.
    Attached Files

You'll have to get both small ends off, only one big end tho, I use an air hammer on the tough ones,

Comment

check out this You Tube link -- this guy uses a puller to separate -- The Easy Way to Remove Teleflex Seastar Support Brackets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzoiRY9Pi6A

Also soak area with FLuid Film

Comment

When you put it back together coat the shaft with that green Mercruiser monkey crap green grease like you would your prop shaft

Comment

Originally posted by Poorsche View Post
          When you put it back together coat the shaft with that green Mercruiser monkey crap green grease like you would your prop shaft
          I always called it baby s__t green myself.

Comment

I had not use hammer, had to pick up puller. Not exactly required model of puller, but to have it centered on shaft, I made dimples. After that all right. Bracket removed completely only on one side. Torqued to 50 ft/Lb.
            I think, that overfilling helm has a lot to do with leaking, especially when hot.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by amahaork View Post
              ... had to pick up puller. Not exactly required model of puller...
              What puller did you use? The one in the youtube link above?

Comment

I told everything.

Comment

Working...
                X