Tilt/Trim Relief Vent Screw Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tilt/Trim Relief Vent Screw Problem

I'm doing some maintenance because I'm recovering from some major surgery--anyway the Relief Screw that's supposed to let motor come down on it's own and the vent air out of system seems frozen and won't turn.

I've been a little gentle with it because the slot is a little wallowed out

Any Suggestions so I don't break that off ??

It does not let air out of the system. It lets hydraulic fluid get from one side of the pistons to the other side.

Use a square shanked screw driver, the blade of which completely fills the slot of the screw. Put a wrench on the square shank of the screw driver. Push like hell on the end of the driver to keep the blade in the slot. Turn the wrench to turn the screw driver until the screw loosens. Be a man about it.

Comment

thanks for quick reply --

I need to make a trip to Horrible Freight or ACE and get a better screwdriver than I currently have--the biggest blade i have leaves some slop in the slot so it's just going to make situation worse.

I sprayed the area with Fluid Film to make sure that any corrosion is abated.

Comment

And I believe that screw has left hand threads...Opposite from normal screws....so you turn it right to open it. There should be an arrow on the motor brackets showing direction to turn screw to open...

Comment

there is an arrow that shows direction to turn it -- in fact I've got wins and both have same direction indicated on the valve

i am able to loosen that Port engine valve by turning in direction of arrow -- the valve on starboard engine won't move either way

I gave it dose of Fluid Film and tapped it a few times to get the capillary action going. Going to hit ACE or Horrible Freight and get a more suitable screw driver and see how it goes in the morning

Comment

At those stores, you should be able to get (or at least I did a few years ago) screwdriver "sockets". Basically, a 3/8" or 1/2" socket with a screwdriver tip. The "screwdriver" part is very large. I bought one specifically for the lower unit drain vent screws of various engines.
            2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
            1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Horrible Freight....perfect for tools that are only used twice a year. Had to buy a massive adjustable wrench to remove the steering wheel. $20

Comment

If this impact tool, ( http://www.sears.com/craftsman-impac...5&AID=11042411 ) or similar comes with a big enough bit, that'll pop it loose.

It keeps the bit from popping out from the screw, as long as it fits correctly.

If the bit is still NOT thick enough, often you can grind down the tip as it gets thicker the more you grind off. Same goes for a regular screwdriver..

Should be regular threads..

A must have tool in any toolbox..

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 08-13-2016, 07:47 AM.
                Scott
                1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Any Updates????
                  Scott

Comment

not yet -- didn't get to Horrible Freight yesterday but probablt a good thing with tool posted above--going to look for that

Comment

Found the Manual Impact tool at Northern Tool for $12.99 -- going to g and get it as soon as they open
                      Attached Files

Comment

got the Impact Tool abd a bigger screwdriver that was tight in the wallowed out slot --that was all I needed !! Victory

Comment

Excellent!

Great tool!!! Saved me many a headache, literally..
                          Scott

Comment

Working...
                          X