S200TXRX trim/tilt problem???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S200TXRX trim/tilt problem???

Hi guys- Seems that I have developed a problem with my trim/tilt on my Yammie. It is a 1999 S200TXRX.When engine is under load (on plane), the engine seems to drop down from original trimmed position. I am not able to trim it back up while running. Once I pull power back and come off plane, I am able to trim engine correctly.But once back on plane, it will drop back down. I have no problem raising or lowering engine when in slip.
    Again, problem only appears when under load. I have looked at the piston seals from above and do not see any obvious leaks. As boat is slipped at a marina, any work like checking fluid levels or changing seals will require me to pull the boat out of the water. Which I have no problem doing.
    I am just trying to narrow down where this may be coming from? Being that there is no visible fluid externally, could I be looking at an internal bypass of some sort?
    If anyone has any ideas on how to isolate this problem, I would greatly appreciate it

Make sure the manual valve, part #21 below, is snug
    , clockwise to tighten.

If its loose, it will bleed down (as designed-and won't leak fluid)

1999 SX200TXRX Yamaha Outboard POWER TRIM TILT ASSY 2 Diagram and Parts

You can access the screw thru the port side bracket. There should an arrow imprinted on the bracket..
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 08-09-2016, 06:56 PM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Any updates??
      Scott

Comment

Not yet. Won't be able to check until weekend. I can't imagine that the manual relief would back out by itself, but I will check it out. Normally, those things are super tight unless you exercise them a few times per year.
        Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Yepper, just curious.. Tks and good luck.
          Scott

Comment

Relief valve was tight. In fact, it seems frozen as I can't loosen it either. But that's something that I will have to address when/if I pull the boat to get some better leverage.
            Reexamined piston seals from above with no leaks noted while actuating motor up and down several cycles.
            Possibly an internal seal bypass?????

Comment

FYI -- was unable to loosen the Manual Relief valve on my Starboard engine because the screwdriver slot got wallowed out from use of a small screw driver or sloppy work on my part.

In any case -- if that happens to you make sure the screwdriver you use fits tightly in the the slot or you make an unrecoverable mess and that valve cost $137 !! The maintenance manual says somewhere to open and close that valve several times a year (with the right screwdriver) !!

Comment

Funny thing is that I did exercise the valve in the Spring before I put the boat in the water.
                Back to my original problem...any thoughts?

Comment

I SOAKED THE SLOTTED AREA WITH FLUID FILM (a rust preventative and penetrant) and let it sit over nite, I taped it with a screwdriver a few times to help the Fluid Film move down the threads. I got a BIG straight blade screwdriver that completely filled the slot and used a pair of pliers on the screwdriver for leverage -- it took some grunting but it finally rotated.

The part is expensive and a PITA to replace so be cautious -- if I could get it done you can

Comment

Originally posted by Poorsche View Post
                    I SOAKED THE SLOTTED AREA WITH FLUID FILM (a rust preventative and penetrant) and let it sit over nite, I taped it with a screwdriver a few times to help the Fluid Film move down the threads. I got a BIG straight blade screwdriver that completely filled the slot and used a pair of pliers on the screwdriver for leverage -- it took some grunting but it finally rotated.

The part is expensive and a PITA to replace so be cautious -- if I could get it done you can

So is the trim/tilt staying up now (while underway) after loosening and tightening the valve?

BTW, this tool (or similar) is a MUST have in any tool box and would make that job MUCH easier..:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-impac...5&AID=11042411

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 08-17-2016, 08:27 PM.
                    Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                      This tool (or similar) is a MUST have in any tool box and would make that job MUCH easier..:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-impac...5&AID=11042411

I got same tool at Northern Tool for $12.99 -- FYI

Comment

Originally posted by Poorsche View Post
                        I got same tool at Northern Tool for $12.99 -- FYI
                        That would have worked easier with virtually no chance of buggering up the head (with the correct fitting bit).

I don't remember where I got mine. Its at least 3 decades old and still working just fine..

Does the engine stay trimmed up now once underway?
                        Scott

Comment

I was not able to move the valve either way. The engine still drops down when running. I can trim up when not on plane, but as soon as I throttle up the engine drops down.

Comment

Yep, if that valve is tight, something inside is not good..

Rodbolt should be able to help.

Paging Mr Rodbolt!
                            Scott

Comment

that is a 64E unit, also known as the showa.

leakdown can be
                              up main valve
                              manual valve
                              thermal valve
                              trim piston orings
                              free piston orings.
                              take your pick .

Comment

Working...
                              X