Engine hours on Yamaha gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine hours on Yamaha gauge

Is there a way to find engine hours on my yamaha gauge? The engine is a 1993 200trxx and as far as I know its the OEM gauge it would have come with. I am away from the boat but will get a picture or part number of the gauge later if I can. I think it is this one 6Y5-83500-03-00 and 6Y5-83500-A0-00

Right now all I have is oil level and RPM and fuel gauge. Are there more functions that are either not hooked up or that I can get to? Pressing the buttons does change the screen but not to show much. I'm looking for engine hours and maybe more info from the engine like temp if possible to monitor more things

No hours record for you. Check Yamahaoutboards - owner resources - manuals. Earliest is 1998, but ok.

Comment

Engine hours are not recorded within any Yamaha tachometers.

Some tachometers will record tachometer hours within the tachometer and some tachometers will display engine hours, as reported to the tachometer by the engine. Your engine does not.

The part numbers that you provided are Yamaha digital multi-function speedometers. They do not record hours.

I suspect that if you have a Yamaha digital multi-function tachometer that it does not have two buttons on the face of it. Only tachometers having the two buttons will record tachometer hours.

Your engine did not come from Yamaha with any gauges. Whatever gauges are in the boat were chosen by someone after the motor was purchased.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
        Engine hours are not recorded within any Yamaha tachometers.

Some tachometers will record tachometer hours within the tachometer and some tachometers will display engine hours, as reported to the tachometer by the engine. Your engine does not.

The part numbers that you provided are Yamaha digital multi-function speedometers. They do not record hours.

I suspect that if you have a Yamaha digital multi-function tachometer that it does not have two buttons on the face of it. Only tachometers having the two buttons will record tachometer hours.

Your engine did not come from Yamaha with any gauges. Whatever gauges are in the boat were chosen by someone after the motor was purchased.

Thank you, I did not know they didn't come with it. I'll have to check, I do know there are buttons on one of the gauges at least. I know I can click them and the screen changes but I think it's time and maybe speed? I forget now I'll have to check.

Comment

See page 2-8 and 2-9 of this owner's manual. It depicts the type of later tachometer that records tachometer hours. The tachometer can be changed to display hours or to not display hours.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/s...-05-38_876.pdf

Comment

If you want a simple, reliable hour meter that also has tach and maintenance hour meter, here's what I got. I mounted mine on the engine lift eye.

Available from the following link....

Digital Hour Meter and Tachometer | Hour Meters Gauges| Northern Tool + Equipment
            Chuck,
            1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

I just replaced my 2004 Yamaha Multi function Tachometer with a 6Y5-8350T-D0-00. It is working fine but would like to reset the engine hours.

I'd like to get the correct engine hours off of the old 6Y5 Tach. My plan is to apply power to the old unit and read the existing hours from it. I need to know which color wires are +/- leads?.

Thanks,

Joe
              2004 18' Bluewave w/2004 Yamaha 90TLRC

Comment

yellow is +
                black is -
                blue is backlight
                green is tach input

I'm not following "reset the engine hours"
                what do you plan/want to do?

Comment

Hi Fairdeal,

The new tach says 0 total hours I'd like to change it to the number of hours that I read off of the old tach so it will display the real total hours.

I read that I can change the number of trip hours, I'm hoping I can change the total hours. Is that possible?

If not I'd like to know the existing hours for scheduled maintenance.

Regards,

Joe

Comment

Hi Fairdeal

Is there a way to get the real total hours from the 90TLRC itself?

Regards,

Joe

Comment

unfortunately only EFI 4-strokes and HPDI engines record running hours
                      in the engine 'brain'.

And while the 'trip hours' in the 6Y5 is re-settable,
                      the 'total hours is not.

You can, however, 'add' hours to the tach,
                      without actually running the engine;

the 6Y5 will 'run the clock' whenever it is
                      a. powered up
                      AND
                      b. receiving a 12V square wave or alternating current input on the tach input

So if you have an old wall wart with a 12-14 volt AC output,
                      connect that to the tach green wire, and black wire,
                      and keep track of how long you have it connected;
                      leave it connected for one day and you'll add 24 hours to the tach
                      leave it connected for a week and you'll add 168

Comment

Hi Fairdeal,

That's a great idea! I think I have a 12-14VAC wall wart.

Thanks for the input!!!!

Joe

Comment

Working...
                        X