Testing/Acquiring older Yamaha 150 68F-13761-00-00 INJECTORS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing/Acquiring older Yamaha 150 68F-13761-00-00 INJECTORS

Dealer is telling me I have 6 injectors shorted to ground in my Yamaha 150. Model: LZ150TXRA And that without replacing them ASAP will lead to INJECTOR DRIVER AND POTENTIALLY ECU FAILURE. I'm not sure this is a true statement.

#1 Any rebuttal or thoughts on this?
    #2 Are you aware of and can confirm how to test used injectors? These are all over ebay and none of the sellers are aware of testing them out or how to.
    #3 Does anyone have any tested/used injectors to sell?
    #4 The boat runs, injectors work. Should I not run this boat until the injectors are replaced?
    #5 This is what the mechanic said to me since. "We need to Ohm out each injector and to be CERTAIN there is NO continuity between either of the two pins in the injector and the metal injector body. If continuity is found, the injector is shorted and junk. This is straight from the manufacturer (Yamaha). All your injectors short out. And if the vessel is operated further, without replacing each injector, THIS CONDITION WILL EVENTUALLY LEAD TO INJECTOR DRIVER AND POTENTIALLY ECU FAILURE.

Ok, I'll play, BS, I test and clean injectors, and have some bad ones laying around, don't think an injector is gonna take out the EFI, and really don't think all your injectors are bad, ship them to me and let me test them.

Comment

I believe he was asking if the injector testing to the shield was a correct way of testing them.

maybe you can check a few to see if there is any continuity between the pins and the shields

I too find it hard to believe that all of them on a running motor would be bad the same way and if shorted to ground as they say I would not think they would function properly.
      But I do not know much of anything about injectors
      Last edited by 99yam40; 07-26-2016, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Go and ask your questions here

Yamaha Motors

A fellow named Rich Z frequents this message board. He also runs a fuel injector cleaning and servicing shop.

Brucato High Performance Products and Service. Brucato SVS (air intake system) and PCU (adjustable ECU) for Mercury EFI Outboards.

I think he will tell you that your mechanic is feeding you a lot of BS.

Comment

Originally posted by Sequoiha View Post
          Ok, I'll play, BS, I test and clean injectors, and have some bad ones laying around, don't think an injector is gonna take out the EFI, and really don't think all your injectors are bad, ship them to me and let me test them.
          Thank you. For the moment, I'm going to take boscoe99's advice and reach out to brucatofis.com. But I may circle back! Thanks for being a gentleman!

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
            go and ask your questions here

yamaha motors

a fellow named rich z frequents this message board. He also runs a fuel injector cleaning and servicing shop.

brucato high performance products and service. Brucato svs (air intake system) and pcu (adjustable ecu) for mercury efi outboards.

i think he will tell you that your mechanic is feeding you a lot of bs.
            done and done! Perfect, thank you!!!

Comment

report back what you come up with as you have my curiosity going on this now

Comment

hahahahaahaahaha
                man this net BS is funny.

if you short something it quits.
                it also lets the smoke out.
                without magic smoke the device quits.

find a real mokanik

that injector is not a magic device.
                it is a simple solenoid.
                a simple electro-magnetic valve.
                a relay.

you pass a current through it and the valve moves.

as the Z motor injectors operate at about 90v if you had 6 shorted to ground the smoke would have disappeared a long time ago.

Comment

This is the answer from an expert:

"Resistance between two connector pins should be 1.2 to 1.3ohm with dvm. There should be no continuity between pin connectors to metal body. Test readings below or above the specified resistance indicate injector problem. Shorted out hpdi injectors are uncommon and even more so for all six on the same motor. Failure to the drivers or ecu is possible if in fact injectors are shorted out. The resistance test can be performed without removal of injectors and only take a few minutes."

Rich at BrucatoFIS

Comment

Originally posted by LedShiplen View Post
                    This is the answer from an expert:

"Resistance between two connector pins should be 1.2 to 1.3ohm with dvm. There should be no continuity between pin connectors to metal body. Test readings below or above the specified resistance indicate injector problem. Shorted out hpdi injectors are uncommon and even more so for all six on the same motor. Failure to the drivers or ecu is possible if in fact injectors are shorted out. The resistance test can be performed without removal of injectors and only take a few minutes."

Rich at BrucatoFIS
                    Non of the above disagrees with anything that has been posted here on this forum or the other forums at which your question has been posted.

The conclusion is that everyone that knows any thing at all about an HPDI injector disagrees with the bull shit that your mechanic has given you.

A fuel injector is a relatively simple device. A coil opens the injector when power is applied to the coil. A spring closes the injector when power is not applied to the coil. The coil has just two wires. One for current in and the other for current out. The coil is electrically isolated from the rest of the fuel injector.

Failure modes are for the coil to have an open circuit. In which case it won't open the injector. If the coil is shorted to the fuel injector then it will be shorted to the block. Fuses will blow. Smoke may appear. Insulation may melt. Injector won't work. Motor will not run well.

All of the six injectors are separated from each other.

If your motor is running well there is no one that can predict the future and say that all six have failed or will fail and when they do they will take out the ECU and/or the injector driver.

Your mechanic needs to report to the lab to provide a urine sample.

Comment

From your first post, your motor does run? What are your problems as far as the motor running? What exact model/year motor are you having the problem with?
                      Just out of curiosity, have you run the motor and listened for the "clicking" of the injectors? Use a large screwdriver or stethoscope, if you have one.

As the other members, I thing your being fed some garbage.

Thanks!!
                      Chuck,
                      1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

First, this forum is amazing. You guys are great. I just wish I was experienced enough so you wouldn't have to be so back and forth holding my stupid hand.

The motor is Model: LZ150TXRA 150/2002

I took it in because I was having fuel issues at high RPMs. It would stall. The mechanic tested out the the injectors and said all 6 were shorted. He replaced a filter within the motor (forget the name.."vs".. or something) that had some gunk in it and believed that to be the main issue, but said even tho the motor runs fine, the injectors are shorted and will kill the injector driver and EDU if not replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                          Non of the above disagrees with anything that has been posted here on this forum or the other forums at which your question has been posted.

The conclusion is that everyone that knows any thing at all about an HPDI injector disagrees with the bull shit that your mechanic has given you.

A fuel injector is a relatively simple device. A coil opens the injector when power is applied to the coil. A spring closes the injector when power is not applied to the coil. The coil has just two wires. One for current in and the other for current out. The coil is electrically isolated from the rest of the fuel injector.

Failure modes are for the coil to have an open circuit. In which case it won't open the injector. If the coil is shorted to the fuel injector then it will be shorted to the block. Fuses will blow. Smoke may appear. Insulation may melt. Injector won't work. Motor will not run well.

All of the six injectors are separated from each other.

If your motor is running well there is no one that can predict the future and say that all six have failed or will fail and when they do they will take out the ECU and/or the injector driver.

Your mechanic needs to report to the lab to provide a urine sample.

"If the coil is shorted to the fuel injector then it will be shorted to the block. Fuses will blow. Smoke may appear. Insulation may melt. Injector won't work. Motor will not run well."

None of that happened. The motor ran pretty good, except at high RPMs and stalled, the issue seems to be a filter that was replaced. And it was intermittent to boot. Fuses fine, no smoke. So are you saying its doubtful that a single injector has failed? That they aren't grounded out?

Comment

Originally posted by LedShiplen View Post
                            First, this forum is amazing. You guys are great. I just wish I was experienced enough so you wouldn't have to be so back and forth holding my stupid hand.

The motor is Model: LZ150TXRA 150/2002

I took it in because I was having fuel issues at high RPMs. It would stall. The mechanic tested out the the injectors and said all 6 were shorted. He replaced a filter within the motor (forget the name.."vs".. or something) that had some gunk in it and believed that to be the main issue, but said even tho the motor runs fine, the injectors are shorted and will kill the injector driver and EDU if not replaced.
                            The motor runs fine?
                            I'm attaching an image of a simple test to see if your injectors are operating. If they operate, they are not shorted and you can put this to rest.

By the way, the filter he replaced probably is the VST (Vapor Separator Tank) filter.

You should check your fuel lines and filters, ethanol is a killer on them. Ethanol blends absorb moisture and cause havoc. I use non-ethanol religiously in my 2001 SX 150 TRXZ.
                            Last edited by cpostis; 07-30-2016, 04:13 PM.
                            Chuck,
                            1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

I am curious as to what this guy would charge to replace 6 injectors?

Comment

Working...
                              X