Gas/oil ratio - Yeow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas/oil ratio - Yeow!

Stumbled across this while perusing a Mercury SM for the Optimax model.

must be special coatings on pistons/cylinders.
    but then you still have bearings to think about

Comment

interesting

Comment

A good argument for fogging at shut-down....

Comment

I might have told you guys that I ran a Z300 HPDI with no oil at all being provided to the number two cylinder. In a test tank with a test wheel. Being run at about half power because that was all the noise and water splashing that I could stand. Ran it for at least half an hour. Never could get it to seize the piston which was my objective. Surprised the heck out of me.

I should have put the motor on my boat and gone to the lake to see how long it would have taken. That was too much work however just to try and see what there was to be seen.

Comment

Why you want to seize the piston?

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
              Why you want to seize the piston?
              I wanted to see exactly what the piston and cylinder looked like due to lack of oil. There would have been no doubt as to the cause of the failure. Unlike when a piston fails for reason(s) unknown and 20 different people will look at the piston and come up with 25 different reasons as to why it failed.

Comment

Interesting....I seized the Pistons on a Yamaha air cooled 2 stroke motorcycle....an RD 400....the auto lube cable broke. Yamaha did buy the new cylinders and Pistons. The cylinders and pistons were scored and burned looking...not very pretty. Maybe a water cooled motor like on outboards wouldn't seize as quickly/easily as an air cooled motor due to lack of oil?....

Comment

Rd400 motorcycle? When was that? 1970s? Neighbor had I believe an rd350.
                  Scary. Great wheelie bike.

Comment

Is that a misprint Boscoe?

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                      Rd400 motorcycle? When was that? 1970s? Neighbor had I believe an rd350.
                      Scary. Great wheelie bike.
                      The RD400 was right after the 350....bright red bike with aluminum wheels....I don't recall the exact year but 70's to 80's would be about right....the bike was a darn sweet ride on a twisty mountain road....

Comment

Working...
                      X