No announcement yet.

F225TXRD tilt/trim relay & motor amp draw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course we all hide a key on board somewhere, don't we!

Went on a car trip recently and became paranoid that there will be an opportune moment for the car to lock all the doors when I leave the keys on the seat. It didn't happen but could easily, my car locks the doors within 30 seconds of opening them!

Newer keyless entry "keys" have to be on your body to work. My daughter's car can tell if the keys are loose somewhere and then doesn't automatically lock.

I believe Harley Davidson has keyless, as my brother went for a ride with a group who had such a HD. Cold fingers no need to remove gloves; so easy press start, away he went. Time for a cuppa stop, the button worked again and killed the engine. Break over, he smugly went to his bike to demonstrate this marvellous convenience again: nothing happened. He must have had those keys fall out somewhere within 100km way back whilst riding!

The message is that backup seems to be more and more necessary, technology will backfire. Also human nature resists this because we believe "a lot of thought went into this new technology", so this shouldn't be necessary.

What should happen is that you have a duplicate set water protected and hidden on you boat or vehicle. If they have replaceable batteries, no matter, you should also have those spares onboard. Now who does that?

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
      Of course we all hide a key on board somewhere, don't we!

Went on a car trip recently and became paranoid that there will be an opportune moment for the car to lock all the doors when I leave the keys on the seat. It didn't happen but could easily, my car locks the doors within 30 seconds of opening them!

Newer keyless entry "keys" have to be on your body to work. My daughter's car can tell if the keys are loose somewhere and then doesn't automatically lock.

I believe Harley Davidson has keyless, as my brother went for a ride with a group who had such a HD. Cold fingers no need to remove gloves; so easy press start, away he went. Time for a cuppa stop, the button worked again and killed the engine. Break over, he smugly went to his bike to demonstrate this marvellous convenience again: nothing happened. He must have had those keys fall out somewhere within 100km way back whilst riding!

The message is that backup seems to be more and more necessary, technology will backfire. Also human nature resists this because we believe "a lot of thought went into this new technology", so this shouldn't be necessary.

What should happen is that you have a duplicate set water protected and hidden on you boat or vehicle. If they have replaceable batteries, no matter, you should also have those spares onboard. Now who does that?
      I sure as hell do now.

Back when she was alive I took me mum to the doctori. Left the key in the ignition with the truck running since I was just getting her out of the truck and to a wheel chair. Under a car port to the building that was a drop off area. Unbeknownst to me she hit the auto lock button on the passenger side door that caused all of the locks to engage. Closed the door and took her to the chair.

Went to move the truck since there were now about five cars waiting to follow me. Damn truck was locked tight as a drum.

Can we now talk about how tough autoglass can be to break?

Comment

Easy to break when you aren't trying....

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
          I sure as hell do now.

Back when she was alive I took me mum to the doctori. Left the key in the ignition with the truck running since I was just getting her out of the truck and to a wheel chair. Under a car port to the building that was a drop off area. Unbeknownst to me she hit the auto lock button on the passenger side door that caused all of the locks to engage. Closed the door and took her to the chair.

Went to move the truck since there were now about five cars waiting to follow me. Damn truck was locked tight as a drum.

Can we now talk about how tough autoglass can be to break?
          Maybe you guys just aren't thinking big enough
          Last edited by cpostis; 07-30-2016, 04:13 PM.
          Chuck,
          1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

Originally posted by cpostis View Post
            Maybe you guys just aren't thinking big enough
            I was thinking big but my skinny arms could only lift about a 50 pound block of concrete that was nearby.

Took about five or so blows to break the back side window. Fortunately it was only about a hundred bucks to replace. Guy came to my work and did it while I waited.

Anyway, it left another memory of me dear ole mum. God rest her soul.

Comment

On TV they used to advertise a special hammer glass breaking tool to be used in the event you are trapped inside. Don't know if it still available.
              One could carry that around or have it stowed outside like a fireman's axe. Stupid I know.
              We get arrested and charged with carrying an offensive weapon if carry anything, not even allowed to carry a pocket multi tool! Simply cannot explain to the judge that you have it to break into your car in case you get locked out.
              Even getting to the stage carrying a wheel brace in your trunk is regarded as an offensive weapon.
              Even the act of looking under your car for your "spare key" raises the suspicion of the police.
              Wandering way off track, I would reluctantly smash a window; but even retreaving a hidden key, with cameras everywhere, has the potential to put you in trouble.

Comment

what is the wheel brace you speak of?

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                  what is the wheel brace you speak of?
                  The crossbar type with different socket heads on each of the four ends, not original tool with vehicle but bought as a universal tool at auto shops.

Comment

Over here, Rodbolt and I shoot our windows when needed. Somewhat offensive to some people but whatever....

Comment

The crossbar type with different socket heads on each of the four ends, not original tool with vehicle but bought as a universal tool at auto shops.
                      I got a bit carried away didn't wish to particularly highlight where our society and freedoms are going. Saw this on a reality cop show where it appeared they considered it a weapon. I suppose there was a reason that this fella's car was being searched, I was just taken aback when it appears police will not only randomly search your car but also require you to explain the tools you are carrying. My cars have their factory tools but I carry this for the various trailers that I tow.

On the humour track, where would you hide a key on a boat? I had a mate (I think the men in white coats have taken him away by now) who plopped his keys in the prop hub as it was always tilted up when unattended. He had a lead an float on it. Looked hidden and was readily accessable without creating in attention (just walk around and examine the prop, give it a spin maybe, reach in and vola.
                      Fine for many years in fact but one day the tide was running and he climbed aboard from the side. Now to operate the trim you don't need keys! still don't need keys. He had a distraction with the tide situation, and when he realized the key, the ONLY key had floated away. This is why we make sure keys don't sink but he lost them as he was not able to motor his boat down the "stream" to find them.

Talk about dear old mum, that generation that was so security conscious but very wise in these matters; always had that spare key under the DOORMAT for the convenience of those that didn't have one.
                      My mother in law has gone one step further, age is taking toll on her memory. Not only has she forgotten about that spare key right under that doormat, she has taken to leaving her main key in the outside of the lock. When pointed out to her she insists on doing this because she forgets where she puts them; but she assures us that she always snibs the lock from the inside when goes to bed and when she leaves. Can't tell her anything.......

Comment

Two things I really dislike in life... Keys and passwords.
                        Chuck,

Comment

thanks,
                          we just call them 4 way lug wrench or cross

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
                            how to take a screenshot on a pc

4 switched terminals, 2 coil "+" connectors (and integral grounds)
                            That's all.
                            Now that's an elegant design.

Compared to the 8 terminal, 4 wire coil lead, multiple-external-jumper Yamaha part....
                            has anyone used one of these successfully on their Yamaha?

Comment

Originally posted by lsukevinc View Post
                              has anyone used one of these successfully on their Yamaha?
                              Exceeds all the electrical requirements and connections of Yamaha. I found it on Amazon (see link) for less than $18. I'd try it if my t/t relay failed. Just need to be sure you can mount it securely.

https://www.amazon.com/Reversing-Con...rsing+solenoid

Here's a link with dimensions:

http://www.texasindustrialelectric.c...50_Drawing.pdf
                              Last edited by cpostis; 12-04-2016, 07:14 PM. Reason: added drawing link
                              Chuck,

Comment

Working...
                              X