OX66 smoking on all starts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OX66 smoking on all starts

Hello all. First post here. Hoping to gain some knowledge on a smoking issue.

Its a 2001 200 HP OX66. SX200TXRZ. Smokes on start up everytime, hot or cold. I do alot of drift fishing and stop/start cycles during a trip.

The motor will smoke heavily for 10 seconds or so after each start if the engine sits off for more than 5 minutes.

Other than that she runs perfectly. Reading thru posts here, I've already checked the linkage adjustment and the engine mounted oil tank is at the proper level.

Thanks for any input.

that is about normal operation for that era 2 stroke.
    on a hot shutdown the gasoline evaporates leaving the oil. that oil and the oil injected burns off at the next restart.

Comment

Thanks RB. Read thru many of the old posts and wasnt sure if what I was looking at was a problem or not.

Looked at posts mentioning oil pump o-rings and lift pump diaphragm leaks. Unsure how to check if either of these problems exists?

Comment

As far as the lift pumps go. If they're 3 or more years old, I'd change em anyway. The way to check is to unbolt and see if they leak out the back when pumping the primer ball.

Not sure on the oil pump o rings. Never heard of a problem with em.

Comment

Part numbers for Oil pump O rings

I read on an old thread form 2012 that someone had replaced the O rings and the smoke was significantly reduced. Does anyone have the part number for the rings? My outboard is a 2001 Saltwater series, OX66. Thanks, Ryder

Comment

Not sure how an O ring would contribute to smoking on start up and don't know what model OX66 you have but item 15 in the linked illustration is for the fuel injector.

2001 SX250TXRZ Yamaha Outboard FUEL INJECTION NOZZLE Diagram and Parts

If I thought my OX66 smoked excessively I would (1) check the clip on the oil control link rod to make sure that it has not broken, in which case the oil pump defaults to the full oil mode and (2) if I used Yamalube I would change to Pennzoil semi or full synthetic.

Comment

Originally posted by jryder01 View Post
              I read on an old thread form 2012 that someone had replaced the O rings and the smoke was significantly reduced. Does anyone have the part number for the rings? My outboard is a 2001 Saltwater series, OX66. Thanks, Ryder
              post a new thread for your own instead of on someones old one

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                that is about normal operation for that era 2 stroke.
                on a hot shutdown the gasoline evaporates leaving the oil. that oil and the oil injected burns off at the next restart.
                Rodbolt, you mean in the crankcase or otherwise? My SX150TXRZ does almost the same but for probably less than a five second puff, then gone. Never had a concern with it.
                Last edited by cpostis; 09-25-2016, 07:36 PM.
                Chuck,
                1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

Originally posted by cpostis View Post
                  Rodbolt, you mean in the vst or otherwise? My SX150TXRZ does almost the same but for probably less than a five second puff, then gone. Never had a concern with it.
                  Pretend you are fairdeal and do a test for us. Run the motor and shut it down. As soon as possible drain the VST and measure the amount of gasoline that drains out.

Refill the VST using the primer ball. Run the motor again getting it goodnhot. On a hot day if you can. Hot as hell here in jawja right now. Stop the motor and let it sit for about a half hour. Maybe longer. Then drain the VST again. Let us know the difference in the amounts drained please.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                    post a new thread for your own instead of on someones old one
                    I have all but given up. No use peeing into a headwind. I get wet and the wind likes it.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                      I have all but given up. No use peeing into a headwind. I get wet and the wind likes it.
                      Golly, whats all the fuss about? The big debate is not until tomorrow! HA, HA.
                      Chuck,
                      1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                        No use peeing into a headwind. I get wet and the wind likes it.
                        But it cools you off!
                        Scott
                        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Remember the scene in dumb and dumber when they were riding the minibike to Aspen?

Apparently it can warm one up.

Comment

Working...
                          X