Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1998 Yamaha 115 starter/ Solenoid issues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 Yamaha 115 starter/ Solenoid issues...

Hey All,

I just bought a Skeeter w/ Yamaha 115 outboard and i am having issues. First,
    it would turn over real slow or click and that was it so i replaced starter thinking it was done, original from 1998, that didn't work!

So i then replaced solenoid thinking maybe that would be the problem...NOPE! When i hook up battery cables the Starter keeps turning over wether or not the key is turned on!

Just an FYI, it doesn't matter which way i connect solenoid it does the same thing, i have the battery cable POS + to POS +on relay and NEG- to Starter NEG-

i have cleaned all connections

Any help would be great! Thank you in advance

You might want to check / disconnect the ignition switch, sounds like it is causing it to stay in " start" mode ,

Comment

Thank You, that was my thinking as well

Comment

Tested relay, it works as it is suppose to. I ordered ignition switch, i will keep you up to date. Thank You!

Comment

That is strange. And I agree with previous post, sounds like the ignition switch is burnt bc the circuit is remaining open. Before replacing you can try to access the points, clean if corroded. Here is a wiring schematic.
          Last edited by Jason2tpa; 08-14-2016, 03:08 PM.
          Jason
          1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Jason,

Thank you for the schematic, but its too small to see. When you say "points" do you mean connections through out wiring?

Comment

Yes. Try this image
              Last edited by Jason2tpa; 08-14-2016, 03:08 PM.
              Jason

Comment

Thank You.

Comment

Update... So the switch will be here tomorrow but i took the old switch out and cleaned up and installed new terminals and installed new battery cables just in case; It worked about five times and then was starting/spinning by itself again with key OFF!

So as of now i have New cables,relay and starter....Which do you think is the problem, starter or relay? i will also install switch when it comes tomorrow but for the life of me, i cant figure it out.

Comment

Ernie/Jason,

Problem Solved, Thank You for all your help!

So what i did was connect test light to brown wire at Relay. When i turned the key i would get dim light and/or no light at all.

I changed out the ignition switch and that fix the problem (nice bright light) and after numerous turns of the key the starter would turn as it should and there was no hesitation or click and nothing.

I guess it doesn't hurt to have spare parts

Comment

Great news, congrats! And no, you can never have too many spare parts.
                      Jason

Comment

Originally posted by mlm71570 View Post
                        Ernie/Jason,

Problem Solved, Thank You for all your help!

So what i did was connect test light to brown wire at Relay. When i turned the key i would get dim light and/or no light at all.

I changed out the ignition switch and that fix the problem (nice bright light) and after numerous turns of the key the starter would turn as it should and there was no hesitation or click and nothing.

I guess it doesn't hurt to have spare parts
                        Yes it does if you have a wife! I have a garage full of "usefull" spare parts. Maybe some day someone might need a spare engine and bits for a 1958 Goliath (two stroke two cylinder fuel injected front wheel drive, god knows from where, car engine)

Comment

Working...
                        X