Need help with 1977 28hp mariner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with 1977 28hp mariner

Howdy, Been restoring '77 28hp Mariner that we have used since new. Not getting decent spark and having trouble verifying if points or coils are problem. It's a pull start and I don't always have somebody to read meter when spinning her over. Maybe y'all can help find an expert with this old motor. Thanks, Warren

If you have the original points in the engine, they have to be toast....

Can you feel ANY spark with your finger in the spark plug gap?

I don't know your set up, but suspect the points and condenser are under the flywheel (unless you have a distributor) with a magneto either outside or inside the flywheel.

I'd be accessing the points FIRST. In a pinch, you can use a cardboard nail file to clean off all the arcing/discoloration at the contacts. Check and see if you have a gap for the points when open.

If you pull the spark plugs out, install a plug into the wire and ground to the block, you should be able to pull and see if there's spark.

I would also, disconnect any on/off switches till its running should the switch or wire have failed and killing the ignition..

Can you post a couple of pic's, especially of the electrical system, flywheel, etc..
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 06-01-2016, 05:43 PM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I have never worked on an outboard with points and condenser, but it should be like most of the old small motors I have dealt with.
      cap/ condenser will fail/ go bad 1st usually and cause the points to weld/arc killing them.
      replace the condencer and points if you can find them new
      clean points if they are not burnt up, with a dollar bill pulled through them while closed.
      if arced/burnt, use a points file or a diamond nail file and then clean with $ bill. got to get the surfaces to make good contact.
      check the point gap and set to specs.
      the cam will wear it down and not make it open as far as it should.
      clean the flywheel magnets and coils it passes if needed. check to see if the gap is adjustable and set to spec if it needs it

Comment

Thanks for the input. Not getting near enough spark, waiting on points/condensors to arrive and start again. Was getting some juice to the coils, ohm meter not accurate, better meter showed inadequate juice. Followed other suggestions (cleaning mag, points) seems like condensors not up to snuff. Anyway, really appreciate help! Let y'all know when going again.

Comment

Working...
        X