yamaha 90 electrical issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yamaha 90 electrical issues

i have a yamaha 90 outboard that is all i know about the motor besides its a 2 stroke. sometimes will crank and hang up and keep cranking but no start, the rest of the time no crank. i can jump the starter solnoid with a wire cranks and starts running just fine. i have replace the igintion switch, starter solnoid, and battery. also the guages cut out when in the crank position. have checked all the wires and connections from the igintion, battery, starter, starter solnoid, kill switch on shifter linkage on engine everything i can see looks good. just looking for next area i need to look in. sorry if i butchered the spelling of some stuff just a old shade tree mechanic and not a good one just enough to be dangerous. not good with computers either. thanks chris

What about the battery cables and connectors?

Comment

OH, and things need to be good, not LOOK good, they need to be tested.

Comment

How old is the battery?

Does it crank over at "normal speed" or slower than usual. Can you check the voltage at the starter relay and at the starter when it's cranking (or should be)- It likely drops significantly.

Can you charge the battery and then get it "load tested" at any auto parts store, Walmart, etc.

And plus one on pulling connectors, check/clean and re-install.
        Just "looking DOES NOT COUNT"

Can you upload a video (with the use of helper) showing what the engine does, gauges, etc when cranking?
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
        X