Permatex Gasket Maker #51813-Primer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Permatex Gasket Maker #51813-Primer?

I'm about to seal my crankcase on 2001 SX150txrz, and bought this sealer as recommended by Yamaha service manual. Upon reading instructions, says to apply primer to one surface. Is this primer just acetone, or do I have to buy the Permatex primer?
    Chuck,
    1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Found the Permatex primer #24163 4.5 oz. spray can for $20.00 @ NAPA. I believe the only purpose of this is to speed cure time for Gasket Maker. I'll buy and use it, seeing that it is instructed to do so on the Permatex #51813 instructions.
    Any comments from users?
    Last edited by cpostis; 05-27-2016, 10:02 AM. Reason: Corrected wrong size can. Was 20 oz, changed to 4.5 oz
    Chuck,

Comment

I have never had to use this sealer as I have never had put one back to gether that called for it.
      But if the instructions call for it I would follow the instructions

Comment

If the sealant that you have bought specifies the use of a primer then the applicable primer should be used.

The Service Manual just specifies "Gasket Maker" with a trade mark symbol after it. What is not given is the manufacturer of that trade marked product.

A search on the inner web turns up many many products labeled as Gasket Maker but without the trade mark symbol.

How did you come to decide that Permatex brand sealant is the correct one that is to be used?

I have a Yamaha chart that indicates Loctite S518 is to be used as the "gasket maker" for Yamaha motors.

http://www.jeffjonesmarine.com/eshop...sket_Maker.htm
        Last edited by boscoe99; 05-27-2016, 01:49 PM.

Comment

if your flying faster than a deer mouse on crack, use the primer.
          if your old and slow DO NOT use the primer.
          it kicks off the sealant faster than most of us can tighten fastners.
          it is good stuff, just kicks off the sealant to fast for old folks.,

Comment

You're right again Rodbolt! I found both Loctite and Permatex technical data sheets. Loctite recommends activator as well to "speed cure time". I feel confident that Permatex 518 is an equivalent to Loctite 518. Attached are the tech sheets on both. I wound up assembling with Permatex 518 without primer.
            Thanks again, both you and Boscoe!
            Last edited by cpostis; 06-29-2016, 08:34 AM.
            Chuck,

Comment

FYI: The Trademark for "Gasket Maker" was cancelled in 2009. The original registrant was NATIONAL STARCH AND CHEMICAL CORPORATION. If they had anything to do with Loctite or Permatex, I do not know. This is the link to the United States Patent and Trademark Office search on this. TESS -- Error

Out of curiosity, anyone know what is specified by Yamaha on most recent models for crankcase assembly?
              Chuck,

Comment

Originally posted by cpostis View Post
                FYI: The Trademark for "Gasket Maker" was cancelled in 2009. The original registrant was NATIONAL STARCH AND CHEMICAL CORPORATION. If they had anything to do with Loctite or Permatex, I do not know. This is the link to the United States Patent and Trademark Office search on this. TESS -- Error

Out of curiosity, anyone know what is specified by Yamaha on most recent models for crankcase assembly?
                http://www.techsil.co.uk/media/pdf/T...I19021-tds.pdf

Comment

Working...
                X